4140 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: raid setup bootable flags greyed

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

looks fine for win 2003

NVIDIA nForce RAID Driver for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x32 Editions 10.3.54.10
2 Nov 200

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

androm this

is my preferred choice

1. Install OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled(No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.
2. Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder.
3. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the

folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.

4. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.
5. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1
A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if

that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to

continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.

6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed

previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".

7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid or

nvidia drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Rai

androm31
Occasional Advisor

mark1234:

(Happy New Year! after a long interval waiting for disks to arrive:)

(written whilst cursor is blinking in top left hand corner of screen - possibly rebuilding the array? it hasn't said so)

My proliant is showing slightly different choices than you have suggested are available in this process. After 2 more abortive attempts I have low level formatted both drives and using the easy install cd have installed the operating system (taking the extra step of disconnecting the mirror disk).

1. the hardware to add is nvidia not adaptec.

I have taken the step of adding all three devices from the *.inf, nvidia raid controller, nvidia raid device and nvidia Serial ata driver, all showing exclamation marks in yellow circle as hardware isnt detected yet.

(now I reconnect both drives and enable raid)

2. even after low level format, the bios still thinks there is a mirrored array
I simply don't get "Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1" when I press Press F8 .

I did however follow the steps to rebuild the array. The disks are very quiet, the cursor is still blinking but I don't want to turn it off now in case it is rebuilding the array. How long should I leave it for 150gb drives? (20 mins so far)

I suppose the next step will be to go in and delete the array . Is it possible to do this without re-installing SBS2k3 for the 5th time on the first drive? e.g. by saying no to delete mbr.

MTIA
androm31
Occasional Advisor

Ok.
Finally cracked this.

To Boot from the array I had to:

1. enable nvidia raid
2. Unplug dvd drive
3. disable raid on the hard drive array
4. enable raid on another 2 sata channels with nothing attached to them - a phony array to get the drivers properly installed.

The system then boots and finds the nvidia array, reboots again so all the other components of the driver are installed.
( I removed one item with a yellow warning !)

5. enable raid on the boot drives
6. F8 add the drives back to the mirror, save and exit without clearing mbr.

System boots from the array.
Re -run nvidia driver 10.3.54.10_s2k3_32 to install nvidia gui RAIDTOOL application.

Hope this helps.