1753460 Members
5009 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: raid5 upgrade - ML370g2

T_C_1
Occasional Contributor

raid5 upgrade - ML370g2

I posted this in the disk array forum, but that forum isn't very active, and I need some input today...

situation: ML370G2, 3-18GB drives, raid5, 2 partitions C-OS, D-Data (SQL2000). I have 3 new 72GB drives that I want to use because I'm running out of room.

I have Ghost (made customized BartPE with Ghost 11+Ghost cast),and I have Acronis TrueImange server 9.1 boot disk.

I plan to boot to Ghost disk and ghostcast an image to a remote Wkstn, and also use Acronis to do the same just in case (this is a live production server, and I have it scheduled to be offline tonight for this, but can take no chances with failure). Then down the server, replace the 3 drives, boot the the SmartStar 5.5 cd, use the ACU to create new partitions. then reboot to the Acronis (or ghost if needed) CD and bring the image back down to the new partitions.

QUESTION: Am I missing anything? or doing anything wrong? Have I covered all my bases?

Thanks, need to know soon...
TC
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

smartstart 5.5(SS) I think and according to software support you can use 7.9 for windows 2003 on the other hand for W2000 you have 5.5 and 7.9

SS 7.9
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27730.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
T_C_1
Occasional Contributor

I have a copy of 7.6, will that do? I'm mean the controller is a 532... will it make a difference? (i'm not familiar with the differences between them..)
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

try to download at least the 7.8 version

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
T_C_1
Occasional Contributor

I downloaded the 7.9, I use it. I'm imaging as we type... I let you know how it goes. I don't think I left anything out in my processes correct?
Hense, Klaus
Valued Contributor

Hello, you can expand your disksize without boot your server - but it is a good idee to update the Firmware and PSP to the latest Version before and make a backup....

1. Replace your disks one by one - wait after replace the 18GB with 72GB Disk - sure that the rebuild was finished
(first disk, wait for rebuild, second disk, wait ..., and so one
2. After this you has free space in you array. You can create a new logical volume that belongs to a new disk in your OS or you can simply expand your exist logical volume.
3. when you expand your exist Logical Volume in the OS you have a larger disk after refreshing with free space. you have the choice to create a new partition or extend ONLINE your exist partition with MS Tool "diskpart.exe" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/en-us)
klhe