1751824 Members
5289 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: redundant Network Configuration

Fritz_4

redundant Network Configuration

Hi all,
I have 2 4160gl nad a couple DL380 G4 and I have to implement a redundant Network Configuration with these. My thoughts were to connect NIc1 to SwitchA and Nic2 to SwitchB . But honestly I do not really know how to configure this neither on server nad Switch side. MOre details see the attachment. Because all devices are HP ones I thought I could be any configuration example for this.
Has anybody tried this , and could help me?
6 REPLIES 6
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Hi Fritz!
Use HP Network Configuration Utility. In your case configure Team Type Selection as "Network Fault Tolerance Only with Preference Oder".
Fritz_4

Thanx,
i will try that. Do you any idea what to do with the switches. I read something like spanning tree in the manual!
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

STP preventing undesirable loops in the network. It fully explain here http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/sw_ntman/cwsimain/cwsi2/cwsiug2/vlan2/stpapp.htm
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

this will explain it
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/networking/whitepapers.html

key is STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) is required with redundant connection between switches. it is basically a protocol to avoid loop formation and broadcast

REgards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Fritz,
You only need Spanning Tree if your switches are "redundantly" connected. If there is more than one port on a particular switch that connects it back to other switches/hubs, then Spanning Tree will probably be needed in the environment.

If you have two switches that have a single link between them, Spanning Tree is not necessarily needed.

-------------------
Here is a whitepaper that will provide most, if not all, of the information you need to implement HP Network Adapter Teaming.

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/networking/TeamingWP.pdf

The PDF is +/-80 pages.

The current version posted is for Teaming driver version 7.86. I've recently updated the whitepaper for the shipping driver version 8.10 but it will not be posted for another week or so. Once posted, it will have the same URL.

Regards,
Sean McGee
Fritz_4

Thank you all for the good hints and links to Documentation. I also got me a Demo License of the Intelligent Network Pack which will atart to test with. So if anyone has some experience with this, feel free to post it.