ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748230 Members
3975 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: remove one DL360 G3 RAID1 drive as backup?

DannoXYZ

remove one DL360 G3 RAID1 drive as backup?

From some other threads, I take it that the drives are hot-swap and I can remove one drive from a RAID1 configuration?

I tested by removing the #1 left drive from a machine leaving the #0 right drive in the bay and the machine continued on just fine.

Would it be possible to put blank drives into bay #1 and have it rebuilt and mirrored. Then remove and put aside as a backup?
5 REPLIES 5
Kotate
Advisor

Hello, The "science" of the RAID 1, is as it says, have a mirror, so in case one of the drives fails (or you take one out) the server still running. When you replace the failed drive with a new one, it should start rebuilding to have the information mirrored again. So basically that is a "funny" way of making a backup!
DannoXYZ

Well, I was doing some software updates and wanted to have a backup of the server right before the update. So I figured if I remove one of the drives right beforehand, I can have a back up. Then if the update bombs, I can remove that drive and put back in the original one before the update was done and be right back to where I was before. Then just erase the updated drive and put back into be re-mirrored from the original configuration.

That would work wouldn't it?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I've done this many times on systems with Smart Array controllers to basically do what your attempting. The only thing I do different is properly power down the system before I pull a drive. After I pull a drive I power the sytem back up. Once the system has booted, I insert another drive so the mirror rebuilds itself. After the rebuild is complete I then do the changes/updates. If something goes wrong during the update or test, I turn off the system, pull both drives, replace with the good drive and power back up. Again after the system has booted I plug in another drive so the mirror rebuilds.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Marshall Penn
Advisor

Also, you might want to go into the Array Controller config program and change the rebuild priority so that it rebuilds quickest.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

we cloned with this procedure 6 servers,

but you need to shutdown the server before you put out the disk. For the OS required.

mikap