108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: replacing Proliant disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kim Weiss

replacing Proliant disk

Hi!

I am very novice with servers overall. My problem is that my client has HP Proliant ML350 G3 server with two 36,4G (286713-B22) disks. Now there is red light in the front of the computer so we think that one disk (of two disk raid) is in error.

Now the question is that do I have to replace that disk with exactly same kind of disk or is for example this disk (289041-001) ok?

I am trying to find the answer all the time but help is accepted!

(Extra question is that does the raid system automatic use new disk or is there some kind of installation required?)

Thank you for your interest!

-Kim-
5 REPLIES 5
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

both numbers are the same disk :

36.4GB universal hot-plug Ultra320 SCSI hard drive - 10,000 RPM

-b21 is the product number, -001 is the spare number(same HDD), so they are interexchangable.

When you take the failed disk out and plug the new one in the server, rebuild will start automatically.

Pac

Kim Weiss

Same details but really same disks? Is it possible to transfer Windows Server 2003 to two bigger disks with raid system? Or how do people fix it when one disk breaks down?
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Kim,

>> Same details but really same disks?

For a single spare/product number there are different modell numbers, which have the same specifications. You can even put a 15k rpm drive, it will work.

>>Is it possible to transfer Windows Server 2003 to two bigger disks with raid system?
Or how do people fix it when one disk breaks down?

What exactly do you mean? If you have 2x36GB HDDs in RAID1 you can migrate this to 2x 146gb discs in RAID1. Is that what you mean?
If you have RAID configured (different from RAID 0), and one disc fails - data is not lost.

Please explain what config you have and what do you want to do, will tell you how...

Pac

Kim Weiss

Ok. There is totally two pairs of disks. One pair 36.4G disk and another pair 70+G something. One of 36.4G disks is broken, we believe and it is that disk where os is installed. So now if we have to replace disk, why not replace it with a bigger one, let's say 150G disk. The question now is that is it anyhow possible to mirror that one good disk to a bigger disk and then replace the original disk also?

Don't worry I don't understand myself either =)
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you can use 146GB replacement disc, but since it is in RAID 1 with a 36GB disc, the 110GB space will be lost.
You can however replace teh 36GB with a 146GB HDD then after the rebuild , you take the other 36GB HDD out and put another 146GB HDD.
Then after the 2nd rebuild, you will have the OS on 2x146GB HDDs, but using only 36GB of each one. Then you can use ACU to expand the array & extend the logical drive and use 3rd party SW f.e. partition magic to extend the boot partition in OS...
This is a bit complicated procedure, because you have the OS installed on this drives :)

So about your question - you can replace the 36 with 146 and it will function, however, you will not be able to use the extra space, so it don't make sense