New Discussion

Re: replacing hard drives on ProLiant ML350 Gen9

SOLVED
Go to solution
juanzgz82
Occasional Visitor

replacing hard drives on ProLiant ML350 Gen9

Hello,

We acquired some time ago an HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen9 server, with a raid consisting of eight HPE 4TB 12G SAS 7200rpm LFF hard drives.

Recently we have purchased 2 spare hard drives, but they are slightly different from the ones we already have in the server.

The ones in the server have this number on them: 819079-001, and have a nice round green light on them.

The new spare ones, have this number: 834134-001, and have two small square lights on them.

I know that the old ones can be swapped without shutting down the server, but I'm afraid that the new ones have a lower profile, and don't allow a hot swap.

What problems can we expect with the new hard drives? should we return them to our reseller and acquire the same model we already had in the server? can we hot-swap the new ones? are they as fast and reliable as the old ones?

thanks a lot,

Juan

3 REPLIES 3
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi @juanzgz82,

Both appears to hot plug drives, and same specification so there should not be any functional impact,

However only difference is in "Carrier Type"/Caddy

834134-001 : Low Profile

819079-001 : SC- smart carriers  [HPE Smart Carriers report drive activity and health]

SC drive rear.PNG

Refer HDD quick specs to know about Smart Carriers information.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/a00001287enw.pdf

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

juanzgz82
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your response,

everything clear,

thanks,
Juan

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

@juanzgz82 

Kindly accept the solution to close this thread.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

Regards,

Sudhir 

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo