ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753344 Members
5183 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: replacing the harddisks of server with another serverthat can support same raid configuration

aymen_1
Occasional Contributor

replacing the harddisks of server with another serverthat can support same raid configuration

I have Dead ml530 server, the problem with its motherboard, and its have 4 hard disks contain important data in raid configuration. so can i attach these 4 HDD in another hp proliant server with the same raid configuration to obtain these important data that stored in it or not, and how if yes?
plz its urgent
4 REPLIES 4
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Re: replacing the harddisks of server with another serverthat can support same raid configuration

Yes, you can.
Plug 4 old disks into another server, power on server and SmartArray will read RAID configuration from disks.
Don't create new RAID on these disks, SmartArray must read RAID configuration from disks. Probably after booting windows on the another server you will need "accept" your RAID with windows disk management to make your old NTFS partitions accessible.
See this document as well
"HP Smart Array Controllers - How Do I Determine the Migration Route for Smart Array Controllers? "
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000080732098
aymen_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,
the dead server I have was ML530G2 have 4 HDD (2*36 &2*72)and it contain important data in oracle, and the server did not contain any raid controller, but the 2 scsi channel connected to the integrated scsi controller.and I think(that these server configured in software miror)

so I make 2 steps to make these data accessible:

1. connected the 4 hard disk in working ML350G4 have 642 smart array controller, so in the ACU I have found there are 1 array have one partition size 32GB in raid 0+1, but the 2 other 72GB was not in the array, so i tried to boot from these hard disks but it failed.

2. then connect the same 4HDD in another working ML530G2 have 642smart array and the same thing so i reconnect the 2 scsi channel to the integrated scsi controller so the ACU can't detect any thing but it also can't boot from these HDD, and tried many times by booting with its original HDD and reconnect the 4HDD in the smart array, but it failed also.

plz I need a quick solution because we need the data in these HDD's, or is there any other technique that enable us to take image or buckup of these HDD and store it away, so we can format these HDD and reuse with the same buckuped data after we cofigured it in raid configuration
Miika T
Valued Contributor

If the drives are connected to a SCSI controller instead of Smart/RAID, then DO NOT connect the drives to a raid array, as that will erase the drive configuration!

Make sure that you make identical physical configuration/connection to your drives, as they were in the dead server. If the drives are hotswap and the drivecage is connected to internal scsi bus, configure it like this in the new server (no smart 64x). If the raid is created using software, this should no work, if the scsi chip is using the same driver as the old one (os will boot up, and utilize the raid).

-Miika
aymen_1
Occasional Contributor

the new server have the same configuration except the old one have 2 CPU's and have 3GB memory,and the new one have 1CPU and 1GB,and i think that these parameter are not important thats beside the new one have smart array 642, so i reconnect the HDD's to the scsi conrtoller.

Is there any possible error was make when i was connected these HDD to the smart array642 and entire on the ACU and tried to boot from them.
thats beside how can i know the version of scsi controller in the dead server

and is there any solutionto these problem