1751693 Members
5047 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: resize partition on server RAID5

filippo_8
Occasional Contributor

resize partition on server RAID5

hello, I heve 3 disk (18,2 GB one) (RAID 5)on server proliant ml 370, with controller array 431. when windows was installed, the partition C: was 2 GB. now I want resize partiton, what utility I use?I try ACU (compaq) but it see 1 logic partition, and Windows 2k server see 3 disk + 1 of Exchange.please help me!I can use Partition magic on this server?or I do again all partition and cancel all data?
fil

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator

24 REPLIES 24
David Child_1
Honored Contributor

C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\diskpart.exe (it's part of the rosource kit so you may need to download it from Microsoft).

David
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

There is a utility called diskpart which is what you possibly want to use.

The only issue I can see in your situation is the location of your "Exchange" disk.

Diskpart will only expand a partition if the space in contiguous on basic disk or any available space on a dynamic disk. The only other way I know how to move partitions is using a utility like Partition Magic.

On the other hand, if you have a basic disk and if you can create a partiton at the "end" of the logical drive and "move" your exchange data to it and delete the middle partitions, you would be able to extend your c: drive. (or just convert it to dynamic disk)

Microsoft has a decent article on theusage of diskpart.exe.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325590

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
filippo_8
Occasional Contributor

but this software clear all data on my disk?
and canI use that on a server?
David Child_1
Honored Contributor

If used correctly it should not destroy any data. I used it yesterday to expand a disk that was actively being used.

I don't think it matters if you are on a server or not.

David
filippo_8
Occasional Contributor

sorry...
but have diskpart a graphic interface or have a command line?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

filippo,
please open the URL that Steven has given you. It will answer your question.
filippo_8
Occasional Contributor

Thank you
sorry
I try diskpart but I haven't free space for extends my C partition.
filippo_8
Occasional Contributor

Do you know a software like partition magic for win2k server? or utility free?
Daniel Brunt_1

As long as you do NOT have Dynamic volumes, I've used Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 which contains Partition Manager 2003 on Windows 2000 Server. Unlike Partition Magic, it supports all flavors of Windows whether desktop or server and is quite reasonably priced.

If they are Dynamic, then I think Symantec Volume Manager is the only utility which will allow you to revert the C partition from Dynamic to Basic providing it's Simple and not Striped or Mirrored. Once the partitions are back to Basic, then you can move/resize them. Unfortunately, it's expensive...$760.95 USD