ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748279 Members
4231 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: resize partition on server RAID5

Daniel Brunt_1

Partition Commander from VCom looks like it can revert from Dynamic to Basic and then allow you to resize/move. And it's only 49.99

See http://www.v-com.com/product/Partition_Commander_Features.html
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Sorry, you can't use diskpart to extend your system/boot drive. As far as I know.

I am sure you found that out though.

I have used Partition Magic before in Win2k, but am not sure if it would work on a "server" version.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Daniel Brunt_1

"I have used Partition Magic before in Win2k, but am not sure if it would work on a "server" version."

It does NOT work on the "server" versions of Windows.
David Hillis

We're getting to a fairly critical stage now. DiskPart Extend Utils wont work on a boot or system volume and Partition Magic .. I think I've got v7 wont do server vols.

Some one tell me if this wont work. I've created 4 Norton Ghost 2k3 images. One per partition. I'm preping a new drive 20GB with 4 equal partitions. I'll restore each image to the appropriate partition. It almost sounds too easy I know but I've been able to do it successfully testing on Win2K server.... This will be my first attempt using Win2k3 Server partitions.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I do not see why that should not work. Just remember to make the partition you need bigger..... bigger.

Better yet, if your still using a Smart Array, why don't you just make 4 logical drives, so you can increase the partitions/arrays later on if necessary.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Harry Redl
Advisor

Hi,
I have tried to extend SYSTEM NTFS partition on W2K SERVER using DISKPART utility mentioned here and it worked ... (MS says, that system partition MAY be blocked ....). Data are intact, server works, everything went with system online ...

I am have tried Partirion Magic which DO NOT WORK on SERVER versions of Windows.

Tomorrow I am going to test this on similar enviroment to yours

ML370G2, RAID 1+0, 18G logical disk (4G NTFS + 14G free -> 18G NTFS) - will report

Harry
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I think the original environment was 4 partitions on one drive (or maybe I read that wrong)

You should be able to expand a partition if it is the ONLY partition on the drive AND it is a System drive (though I never had ny luck with it).

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
rancelan

I met this problem before.

Partition Magic can not support Windows Server. You have to use EASEUS Partition Manager Server Edition to solve your problem.

This software has the same functions as PQ has, and it is easy to use.
bean123

Partition magic couldn't work with server.
Went with EASEUS Partition Manager after reading about lots of people saying they were having the problem where they would resize a partition and it just wouldn't take with PM.
stella123
Occasional Contributor

It is cool!Someone has already recommended the easy-use partition tool EASEUS Partition Manager. I want to say that it also runs well on my computer. It help me a lot when I want to reize/move partitions and so on.