1753789 Members
7851 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: scsi bios not found

Murad_3
Frequent Advisor

scsi bios not found

Hi. New ML350 G3 server. It came with SBS2003 but we wanted to load W2003 STANDARD ON IT.
Used smartstart to boot and then used erase utility to erase everything(drives/nvram/cmos) then bootup with smartstart. Everything seems fine. I used the ACU to setup my drives in mirrors etc and left a spare.

However, when it boots up I get message saying scsi bios not found! Then when I ran the smartstart test utility, everything is fine except for my SCSI HP72 Tape drive which fails a test. It says to load a tape. However the eject test went fine.
I'm sure the id for the device is fine (3) and if the server can run an eject command then the scsi setup is good(i hope!). But what do I do about the SCSI bios?

What am I doing wrong? I had the idea that my hardware should be configured BEFORE doing an assisted OS install.
Which is why I thought I'd test it all before proceeding.
TIA
4 REPLIES 4
Colin Moors
Frequent Advisor

Hi Murad,

If your machine is working correctly (i.e. it boots, runs the OS et.) it's probably safe to ignore this message.

As you are booting from the RAID controller, not the SCSI controller itself, this message is normal. It means that the SCSI firmware cannot find a bootable SCSI device. If you were to attach a SCSI CD drive and boot from that, the message would not appear. It is normally an informational message and nothing else.
Murad_3
Frequent Advisor

cheers Colin. I won't worry about it and will just load everything else.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Murad,

I'm pretty sure this is due to the fact that the SCSI port which generates this message has no disks attached to it. The INT 13 (disk) BIOS will be enabled on the port however.

This is probably the port on the system board which you have your DAT72 attached to. It's not a fault, it's just an Adaptec information message reporting no hard disks attached to the port. Since the BIOS is enabled, it's looking for disks too.

You should be able to press F8 or CTRL-A to enter the controller setup at POST, when each controller initialises and reports itself on the screen. Once you are in the setup there should be a menu choice for disabling the BIOS on the controller. Once done, it won't look for hard disks and won't report the "BIOS not found" message any more.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Murad_3
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Brian, Ill check that out now.