cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scsi card Initialisation

Phillip cassia
Occasional Visitor

scsi card Initialisation

we have just purchased some additional SCSi cards for our DL360 PIII servers to run Ultrium drives.

The servers when they boot and find the scsi card will come up with the error initialisation failed on 1st startup but then on 2nd startup find both tape drive and card and continues to work fine. If the server is rebooted same thing happens

SCSI card is a HP Single Channel U320 SCSI G2 Host Bus Adapter

and according to Hp it is supported in the DL360

any help appreciated

Thanks
3 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: scsi card Initialisation

Phillip,

This is a G1 DL360, so you need to run the System Configuration Utility (SCU) from Smartstart or press F10 during post to enter the diagnostic partition. If you make a hardware change on G1 systems and don't save those changes, you may have a resource clash with other devices in the system. This may only show up at POST time.

Go into the SCU and save the hardware changes. It should be OK after that. IRQ's etc. will be assigned properly to the devices once this is done.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Phillip cassia
Occasional Visitor

Hi Brian, i have already tryed this but still got the same problem, It certainly is a weird 1, and it happens without fail, 1st boot error message, 2nd boot ok, 3rd boot error message, 4th boot ok, etc even if you power down completely eg remove power cable after it has errored it will then boot up ok

thanks for your help
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Phillip,

Can you move the controller to the other PCI slot on the DL360G1?. PCI slot 1 is on the first bus and shares the bus with the Video and Integrated Smart Array controller. The second PCI slot is on PCI bus 2, with only the network cards sharing.

(Please see attached document regarding the PCI slots)

Also, the DL360G1 only has 33Mhz bus speed. I think your Ultra 320 card will never run at optimum speed as it needs a 133Mhz bus. It will probably work OK but never at full speed.

Regards,

Brian