3599 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: server enviroment

Derrick Slade
Occasional Contributor

server enviroment

I am running a compaq proliant 8500r.
I would like to know the correct temp.or at least the optimum temp. it should be running at.my server is in a very enclosed area and i am concerned about how hot it gets in there.
I have a small extractor fan operating to the outside of the building but it is still pretty warm there.
Please can anybody advise me , thanks
Derrick
3 REPLIES 3
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Here's the stated temperature range for the Proliant 8500:
Temperature Range-Operating:
50├В┬░ to 95├В┬░ F
10├В┬░ to 35├В┬░ C

These are the high and low values. It is of course recommended that the server not be run close to 95 degrees F. There should also be a minimum of 1 1/2 clearance from the back of the server to the wall or other obstruction to allow adequate air flow.

Derrick Slade
Occasional Contributor

thanks for prompt reply Terri.
your answear is what i expected considering the lack of detail i have given you,perhaps a bit more detail will help;-
server cabinet (rack) is 22"w x 56"h x 32"d,
installed is 1x high spec PC,
compaq proliant 8500r with 4x cpu + 4xHDs full fan spec.
Adder multiscreen kvm,
To be added 1x HD array (14 bay type),
1x ups rack mounted.
The whole thing has to be sealed with insulation to help reduce the noise because this is my working office and no chance of siting anywhere else.
Ikeep my eye on cabinet temp.but how to i monitor the cpu etc status?
Derrick
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Derrick,

You can calculate the BTU/Hr for you PL8500R system which might help determine if your air conditioning is up to the job. I have attached the Proliant 8500R power calculator to this reply. The full calculator, which will allow you to check the disk storage shelf and UPS (If its a Compaq or HP model)is available from here.

http://h30099.www3.hp.com/configurator/calc/Site Preparation Utility.xls

As far as monitoring the system is concerned, Compaq Insight Manager (CIM) can run on your PC and monitor the server sending alerts if necessary. You need the agents to be running on the server and SNMP installed but they probably already are if the system was installed using Smartstart.

If this is a Windows NT/2000 based system you can check if the agents are loaded via the control panel. Start-Settings-Control Panel. Look for the Compaq (or HP) Management Agents icon and double-click it.
The Agents version will be displayed along the top (Probably 5.XX or possibly 6.XX).

The version will probably determine whether you can use the older CIM or the newer web-based Management Home Page to monitor your system, either will do the job.

I hope this helps.

Brian