1748000 Members
4818 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

server has 128GB ram - windows sees 96gb as usable

wickman
Advisor

server has 128GB ram - windows sees 96gb as usable

My second post today but all the strange issues have been happening recently.

I have a DL580G7 with 128GB of RAM. Windows 2008R2 sees all 128gb but says only 96gb is usable. Resource manager shows 32gb reserved for hardware. Does nyone kniw if there's some bios setting that may cause this? I've been chasing this one for quite a while now.

Thanks,
Eric

5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: server has 128GB ram - windows sees 96gb as usable

The DL580 G7 has a complex memory interleaving system, so other configuration details of your system may be a factor.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13669_div/13669_div.HTML#Memory

How many processors do you have?

How many memory cartridges do you have, and how are your memory modules arranged into those cartridges?

Do you have any add-on cards that would require large amounts of memory-mapped I/O space (I think this is fairly unlikely, but I must ask)?

MK
wickman
Advisor

this server has 4 procs, all eight memory enclosures with two, 8gb modules per memory enclosure. in each memory enclosure, slots 1 and 8 are populated. I think this is the recommended config.

THX> Eric

wickman
Advisor

sorry - the server also has two HP branded HBA's in slots 9 and 11

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,

was you server delivered originally in current config? All firmwares updated?

Jan

wickman
Advisor

The server originally had 64gb of ram. We added 4 additional memory cages and 64gb additional ram. That's when we ran into the 32gb that's been declared unusable. With 64gb we didn't have any RAM reserved for hardware resources.