1752623 Members
4171 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

server rebuild

WW367034

server rebuild

where do I go from here?
Scenario: rebuilding a server purchased on ebay to train on 08 active directory.
proliant dl360 g3 (no software including smart start)dual hot swap hard drives are installed and recognized by option rom, yet not recognized by nt setup utility (diskettes from 2k) also unit will not boot to cdrom though it is enabled to do so in setup. I can boot to floppy and read cd rom. Any help would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Nigel Courtney
Advisor

Re: server rebuild

try removing and reinseting cd rom drive, I had same problem on DL740, it would read discs but not boot from them. I know it does not make sense to do that but it worked for me. good luck
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: server rebuild

HP officially supported up to Windows server 2003 on the DL360 G3. However I have read posts that people have installed 2008 on older servers but can not confirm your server/OS combination. The dificulty in installing newer OSes to older hardware is drivers. Most of the time borrowing a driver from win2003 will work in win2008.

If the above suggestion does not fix the CD drive boot option, check the BIOS to see if there are any settings that enable the cd drive to boot.

The DL360 G6 had an embedded raid controller so you need to configure logical devices in the raid controller for your OS to see and use. The os will not see the physical disks.