1753875 Members
7538 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: setting up drives on ML370G4

Rambaldi
Occasional Contributor

setting up drives on ML370G4

Got a new ML370G4 with 8 300GB hard drives. I want to mirror 2 of them and set the rest up in raid 5. I am more familiar with DL servers so I am use to the 5i and 6i controllers. At boot up I see some MPT Bios stuff flash on the screen and it shows two of my 300GB drives, it gives an F8 option to configure but I can't make heads or tails of the options. After that it loads the 6400 controller and from there it only can see the remaining 6 drives which I can set up just fine. Just need some help setting up the first two.
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

The Online ROM-based Configuration for Arrays (ORCA) that you see when you press [F8] is very handy, but it's only good for simple configurations. Use your SmartStart CD to go into Array Configuration for a complex setup.
Rambaldi
Occasional Contributor

When I hit F8 I get this:

Select a configuration option:
1. Tape-based One Button Disaster Recovery (OBDR)
2. Multi Initiator Configuration
3. Exit

If I select option 1, it tells me that I don't have any tape drives. Option 2 brings up two SCSI cards, but I can only change their card ID and their Domain Validation scheme. I don't think that is the ORCA.
Javier Perez Losada
Occasional Contributor

This message is of the Scsi-3 controller integrated in the mother board, where there is connected a Tape drive. ORCA [ F8 ], appears despues to indicate the units existing logics in the controller

Luck
Rambaldi
Occasional Contributor

I don't see the ORCA option afterwards, but I do get the 6400 controller option. I wonder if the drive cage that holds the two drives is not connected to the array controller. I'll have to drive down to the data center to check it out. I had HP build it for me so we'll see.