1752781 Members
6577 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

shared ilo2 port for hp dl 580 g5

rigveds
Occasional Contributor

shared ilo2 port for hp dl 580 g5

hi we want to activate shared ilo2 in hp dl 580 g5. We have enabled shared mode using web access also using script. But after the shared mode is enabled,ilo is not acessible.we want that ilo2 port should be acted as trhe ilo+ethernet port both. can anybody guide us the detail procedure as documnets/pdf for ilo is not giving sufficint guidance.also after making it shared, will it show any additional interface in system like eth2 as a new interface in case of linux if i have eth0 and eth1 already?
7 REPLIES 7
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: shared ilo2 port for hp dl 580 g5

The iLO port is for iLO use only. When in shared mode, the iLO port is disabled and NIC1 is shared with iLO. In shared mode you will have both Ethernet traffic for the OS an iLO traffic on NIC1

If you need an additional Ethernet port (i.e. eth2) you will have to add another network card

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
rigveds
Occasional Contributor

hi jimmy,

in documentation of ilo2 for hpdl580 g5, it says that one can configure either ethernet port or ilo2 port as shared..infact ilo2 utility at boot time also gives this option for ilo2 card.plase let me know..
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

from the iLO2 docs

"The iLO 2 Shared Network Port enables you to choose either the system NIC or dedicated iLO 2
Dedicated Management NIC for server management. When you enable the iLO 2 Shared Network Port,
both regular network traffic, and network traffic intended for iLO 2 pass through the system NIC."

The above says you can use either the system NIC, or the dedicated iLO port for system management, not that you can use the dedicated iLO port for shared Ethernet traffic.

thanks Jimmy..
but why it is giving shared port option in ilo2 configuration utility.after making ilo2 port shared,ilo2 is not accessible.
how should i make Ethernet port as shared?kindly guide me with procedure as documentation is not helping..aslo in ilo2 utility, it asks for vlan after making ilo2 as shared..what is that?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

When you put iLO in shared mode, the iLO dedicated port completely disabled. To access iLO in shared mode you need to have your network plugged into the systems NIC1 port

The explanation starts on page 62 of this guide.
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00553302/c00553302.pdf

Your original post it's not entirely clear on what your trying to accomplish. Do you want shared mode active to save running a seperate network cable for iLO, or are you trying to add another network port for the OS to use?
rigveds
Occasional Contributor

we want to have ilo as well as ethernet in the same port let that be ethernet or ilo.i do not find anything to make ethernet port as shared.ilo2 port to be made shared is explained in this guide but it is not working as written.after making ilo2 shared,it hangs and do not work.reset aslo do not work.
kindly suggest for the same.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

"after making ilo2 shared,it hangs and do not work.reset aslo do not work.
kindly suggest for the same. "

Once iLO2 is put into shared mode, the dedicated port is totsly disabled so iLO will appear to hang. When in shared mode you will have to have a network cable in the network port marked NIC1.

Is the iLO set for DHCP or Static IP? Does the network attached to NIC1 offer DHCP or if iLO is set static, is the IP in the correct address range.