7557 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: slow server performance when using windows explorer

Ragho
Advisor

slow server performance when using windows explorer

Dears
We are using windows server 2008 enterprise edition and windows server 2008 SP2 enterprise edition on HP servers DL380 G6, I notice the server is very slow when you are uning windows explorer to open any drives of folders event the CPU and memory utilization is very normal, we try to install SQL its took hours to finalize?
So is that is it because of using 64 bit ?
4 REPLIES 4
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

what's the rest of your configuration?

- do you use SAN storage or local storage behind a raid controller?
- what raid config (raid -5 -1 -0)?
- if local raid, do you have write-back cache?
- is your SQL version also 64-bit?
Ragho
Advisor

- do you use SAN storage or local storage behind a raid controller?
I have SAN storage MSA2024 over HP StorageWorks 8Gb Simple SAN Connection Kit., and 2 x HBA HP StorageWorks 81Q 8Gb PCI-e FC,

- what raid config (raid -5 -1 -0)?
For the local drives Raid1 2 x 146 GB drives and for the SAN Raid 5 8 x 300 GB drives
The slowness appear on the local drives and on SAN drives

- if local raid, do you have write-back cache?
I have HP Smart Array P410i/256MB Controller without write-back cashe

- is your SQL version also 64-bit?
Yes
Note the problem appear on windows server 2008 SP2 and on windows server 2008 R2, and all servers joined to the domain.
For example on windows 2008 R2 it take 20 seconds to open the contents of administrative tools, and while that the process explorer.exe takes 13% from the CPU load, on a server with CPU E5540 with 6 GB RAM
Ragho
Advisor

Also I have HP DL160 G6 server with windows server 2008 R2 not connecting to the SAN and has the same slowness problem while using windows explorer with the local a60 GB SATA Raid 1 drives.
Also I have servers HP DL380 G6 with windows server 2003 R2 64bit connecting to the SAN have the same problem while using windows explore with local or SAN drives , for example to open folder on local drives its take 7 seconds to open folder include 10 files
Mister Bit

Hello there

I have the same problem on a Proliant dl360 g6, 2 x E5540 @ 2.5 GHz, 12 GB RAM, Windows 2008 Std, SP2. All drives are RAID1 on Smart Array P410i. Antivirus ist disabled.

Just opening Windows Explorer takes 20 seconds and ONE core is running at 100% CPU time. All other cores stay at about 0%. Every action in Windows Explorer takes ages and one core jumps to 100% CPU time until explorer finishes the command.

Many thanks for your help.