5448 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

smart scripting ?'s

jedd
Advisor

smart scripting ?'s

hello all
i am trying to create a script to deploy our servers with W2K.
1. do i need to build a source server first before using all the toolkit e.g. conrep,acr,etc.
2. i am trying to use conrep now, but i get "needs bootable diskette DOS 6.20 or later" i am using a dos bootable diskette. i have booted from the disk before.
3. i have the pdf files for best practice and user guide for scripting toolkit. any additional documents that's recommended.
4. what's the best DOS driver to use for Compaq? i'm using N100.DOS.
Sorry for all the questions, i need to get this up to deploy across WAN.
thanks all
jedd
1 REPLY 1
max_29
Advisor

Re: smart scripting ?'s

1. yes, a source server is a good idea
2. make a network boot diskette to connect to the source server. It is too open to say that you have booted from this diskette. Make sure that you put conrep on the source server and try again; this is daily stuff for me. Look on Internet for network boot diskette and use one of them; most of the time they are so friendly to tell whether it is DOS 6.20 or later (you see, you can boot from DOS 5 too but that is no guarantee that you use the right drivers and have a proper config.sys)
4. In principle you need a diskette with N100, N1000 and Q57, these drivers are used the most.
try find a network disk that scans the NIC and insert the correct values. You'll find cool stuff on http://www.nu2.nu/ this is really the best there is.
5. Doing it over WAN: well, depending on connections you could think of building something cute like ftp for dos.
5.1 all this is not something you do on a free afternoon, but a. it is possible, b. it is fun when successful
5.2 if you think this is too much work: hire me, I'm expensive but good