ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753943 Members
8892 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: stuck pci riser cage

J.L. Skotzko

stuck pci riser cage

I've followed the instructions to remove the pci riser cage from my dl380. They say to "Lift the PCI riser cage thumbscrews (1) and turn them counter-clockwise (2)." (1 & 2 referring to the diagram.) However, after doing that, the cage does not want to lift up; it's like it's still attached to the chassis. Is there a trick to loosening the thumbscrews? They seem to be popped up but maybe they're not.

TIA
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It should be as easy as unscrewing the two riser cage screws and lifting the cage up.

See an example here. (Select PCI-X Riser cage and SAS adapter) on the left.

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=397634&MEID=FEC82BB2-6C52-4A80-A2F7-12190050202C

For specific information on your DL380 model, click here and select:-
Servers,HP Proliant DL Servers,DL 380 GX (Your Model),Remove/Replaec Videos and then select the PCI Riser Cage video.

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html

I hope this helps,

Brian

predrag81
Valued Contributor

Hi,

depending of server generation you have and overside chassis's door who you must unlock.
And i recommended that in everyway when you want to access to the riser, you use this procedure because everything is easier when you lift the door.
And slowly my friend, nothing cannot stop you if you work in order.

Kind regards,
Predrag
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

I agree with predrag... keep in mind also that the riser is a card inserted into a slot and much like a memory stick may require just a bit of extra lift to get it out.

Examine the area near where the connector meets the system board and be sure there are no damaged components causing it to stick.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Have you solved it?

You might have to use the torx tool. It's located inside or on the back of the server.

Accept or Kudo

J.L. Skotzko

I've followed all instructions except the torx tool. I will give that one a try.

The screws seem like they're still attached to the motherboard, even tho I've popped them and turned, just like in the instructions.

This should not be that hard, which is why I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. Two screws, up, and out - seems simple.

Thx for all your help