HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggestions for temp & power consumption on ProLiant DL 100 servers

fongrx7
Occasional Advisor

suggestions for temp & power consumption on ProLiant DL 100 servers

I think this is where I should have posted it. so, here we go:

guys, I am a newbie to these HP servers system montoring. if I have racks of servers, and would like to know remotely how they are running in terms of temperature and power consumption, if any one is running hot, or drawing too much AMPs, we would like to be notified, and take some action remotely. Can all these be done, and automated via scripts?

I have done some search in the forum, and do know that there are varies sensors internally, and the temp readings of each sensor will not reflect the true temp of the server. the best practice is to measure it via some environmental monitoring, such as airflow.

the model is proliant DL 185. I guess that I can get the power reading of the power tower of that rack, instead of getting the readings from each server.

can someone help with the following questions:
1)Can someone get the spec of that model for the temperatures, and power consumption?
2)any default HP util tools can retrieve those readings via some simple commands?
3)if not, then what is the best solution? Proliant Support Pack? iLO 100i pack? or Insight Power Manager?
4)is there reading for each device for temp and power?
5)any sys logs for warnings by default? or the system need to have agents run in order to generate reports?

thanks
2 REPLIES
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Re: suggestions for temp & power consumption on ProLiant DL 100 servers

Hi, zone temp sensor and PSU sensor info for the server is available via the web gui in system management home page, error traps and notifications are configured here also. Inrush current, thermal load and airflow are in the server manual. see here for specs (current is near the bottom)
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12864_na/12864_na.html

this is for the G5 since you didn't specify.

Re: suggestions for temp & power consumption on ProLiant DL 100 servers

ProLiant 100 servers do not have the same rich management as the rest of the ProLiant line, so no ProLiant Support, Insight Power Manager, etc.

Your DL185 has an IPMI baseboard management controller. See http://www.hp.com/servers/proliant --> DL --> 100 Series --> DL 185 --> Support and Drivers --> Manuals for

"HP ProLiant Lights-Out 100 Remote Management User Guide For HP ProLiant ML110 G5, ML115 G5, DL120 G5, ML150 G5, DL160 G5, DL165 G5, DL180 G5, and DL185 G5 Servers"

Page 29 is about monitoring sensors.