108799 Solutions
New Discussion

switch from STS to SAS RAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
southy_de

switch from STS to SAS RAID

Dear all, 

I have a ML110 G7   with a P410 here (no battery pack).

Because the drives were not available at time of delivery and we needed the machine, I took it up and running with one SATA drive.

Now I want to switch over the existing installation to the SAS RAID. 

First I generated the RAID - working fine. But how to copy the data over from SATA -> RAID?

This seems to be much more different than I thought:

I tried it to recover a full backup from Acronis backup for SBS, which we use anyway, because Acronis has an option for recovery onto different hardware - didnt work because the new RAID was (due to RAID overhead) apparently some KB smaller than the old drive and thus migration not possible.

Now I cloned the original drive with Paragon onto the RAID, took the old drive out and rebootet. 

But now it seems the RAID is broken:

The ROM config Tool displays the Logical drive as "not available". 

(could it be I overwrote important RAID information?)

How can I do this? 

Could I perhaps copy the data to one standalone SAS drive (no RAID) and then change that into a RAID? Is that possible?

Has anyone an idea?

Also: is it normal that an ML110 G7 needs about 2 minutes alone until the bootscreen with the proliant logo?

Any help much appreciated,

Jan

1 REPLY 1
southy_de
Solution

Re: switch from STS to SAS RAID

Dear all,

Problem solved:

the below error "logical drive not available" happend to apper because I took out the SATA drive (even though that isn't even part of the RAID, only on the same controller), but I did not choose to "FAIL" this on bootup.

I put it back in and the system booted up (Not forgetting to change the boot device in the controller setup).

In order to test, I took it out again and FAILED (F2) the missing drive on bootup - and the RAID works perfectly! GREAT!

Now I can put the SATA back in, delete everything and be happy :-)

Have a great weekend!