1748210 Members
3090 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tape drive issues with backup exec 8.5

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

tape drive issues with backup exec 8.5

For some reason, I keep getting SCSI timeout errors when running backups from Veritas Backup Exec 8.5. I have patched Backup Exec fully. I tried changing the SCSI mode of the controller card (Compaq 53C876, the one that comes with the ML330) but apparently, the Compaq technician that I spoke with said it wasn't possible to do that with the 330. The tape drive is the only device controlled by the controller. The drive is a 20/40GB DAT, manufactured by Compaq.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Oh yeah, and I'm running Novell Small Business Edition, version 5.1.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Make certain you're using the latest SCSI Device Drivers .
Support Software for Novell Products (NSSD)
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. If your problem is resolved please e-mail me.

artur.maia@tecnidata.pt

Thanx - Cheers
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am having the same issue with one of our customers. They are running Veritas 8.6 and had no problems with NT back-up until Veritas was installed and now time-out and IO device errors 9 and 11 in event log. I was told by Compaq there was no BIOS setting on the ML330 to slow down the SCSI bus speed. Veritas says if I cannot slow down the bus speed it will never work. There used to be a registry tweak for this on NT 4.0 Server with Veritas 8.5, but I do not know about 8.6 with 2000 Server. Any ideas?