1753605 Members
5852 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

tape drive issues with backup exec 8.5

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

tape drive issues with backup exec 8.5

For some reason, I keep getting SCSI timeout errors when running backups from Veritas Backup Exec 8.5. I have patched Backup Exec fully. I tried changing the SCSI mode of the controller card (Compaq 53C876, the one that comes with the ML330) but apparently, the Compaq technician that I spoke with said it wasn't possible to do that with the 330. The tape drive is the only device controlled by the controller. The drive is a 20/40GB DAT, manufactured by Compaq.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: tape drive issues with backup exec 8.5

Oh yeah, and I'm running Novell Small Business Edition, version 5.1.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Make certain you're using the latest SCSI Device Drivers .
Support Software for Novell Products (NSSD)
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. If your problem is resolved please e-mail me.

artur.maia@tecnidata.pt

Thanx - Cheers
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am having the same issue with one of our customers. They are running Veritas 8.6 and had no problems with NT back-up until Veritas was installed and now time-out and IO device errors 9 and 11 in event log. I was told by Compaq there was no BIOS setting on the ML330 to slow down the SCSI bus speed. Veritas says if I cannot slow down the bus speed it will never work. There used to be a registry tweak for this on NT 4.0 Server with Veritas 8.5, but I do not know about 8.6 with 2000 Server. Any ideas?