5441 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: temporarily replace drives

Daha
Occasional Collector

temporarily replace drives

Hello,

I have a DL380 G6 with smart array P410i . I'm using all 8 disk slots with 3 SAS Arrays (4 in raid 5 for OS, 2 in raid 1 for drive and another 2 in raid 1 for E: drive).

I want to temporarily remove the 2 drives for E: and insert 2 other drives (keeping the same drive letter).

If I remove the disks without changing anything on ACU and insert the 2 new disks and create a new Array and logical disk, will I lose the original Array? Or will the initial Array be lost?

3 REPLIES 3
Anu_K
HPE Pro

Hello Daha,

In my openion, in this case you will loose the logical drive which contained those drives, but you can still see the original array in ACU.

You may want to refer to this document to understand it better : https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00020470en_us#N10104

Hope it helps!

Note: "While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company."

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Daha
Occasional Collector

Hello Anu_K

Thanks for the reply.

I think my best option is to delete the array, create a new with the new drives and use my backup to restore the files.

One last question. If I remove the disks without removing the array first and let permamently the new drives, can I use the old drives in another server for future use? (so on the other server if something happens and I need to replace a disk, I will hot swap  the old ones and let it rebuild.) Or I have to delete the array on the server first so there are no meta data on the disks for future use?

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

First, I would suggest you take the data backup before performing this activity.

Yes,If you "2 in raid 1 for E: drive" remove the drives....You will lose the Array as well as date from the array.

You need to recreate again.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo