1748165 Members
3824 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: this pci device

thietpas
Occasional Contributor

this pci device

what is the metal attachment around my pci ports?  does it serve a purpose and can it be removed?

6 REPLIES 6
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Server model ?

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

thietpas
Occasional Contributor

dl580 g5.  will attach the picture again, it is shown lifted up.  normall it is held down with the blue connector on the pci board in the center. as shown, it is lifted as far up as it can go.   it seems upon boot, that without being connected it suggests that there is an unrecognized pci-e device.  however, it is in the way of my gpunit.   i wanted to check here to see what people new about getting rid of the metal attachment before i took to slicing the little sidewing attacment unit on the ends of the pci part of my gpu.0705172125.jpg

thietpas
Occasional Contributor

brief update, open or closed, the metal apparatus has no effect on the pxe-e01 pci device unsupported error.  looking into that further.  i dont' believe it shows up on my other same server, will have to look closer.  much appreciated if anyone has insight

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The metal apparatus is a handle, to be used when removing or reinstalling the system board.

Please see pages 54-57 of the Server Maintenance and Service Guide for your server model. In particular, the picture on page 57 includes the handle:

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01062660&lang=en-us&cc=us

The "pxe-e01 pci device unsupported" message sounds like it might be related to the firmware attempting to prepare network interfaces for PXE network boot. I guess it might happen if you e.g. have installed network cards that use the same NIC chipset series as the integrated NICs but a newer hardware version, so the firmware intended for the integrated NICs initially detects the add-on NICs but then detects that the hardware is too new for that firmware version. If you don't need the PXE network boot functionality on those NICs, the message is probably harmless... but you might want to verify that the system firmware is up to date, and update if necessary.

MK
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The handle is part of the system board assembly, here you can see it in place.

DL580G5.jpg

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
thietpas
Occasional Contributor

thanks to all.  ultimately i just modified the gpu itself.  heres to fortune