108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

to buffer or non buffer

SOLVED
Go to solution
miami_meiguoren
Occasional Advisor

to buffer or non buffer

i am ready to upgrade our memory to max out our 2 proliant servers.
since im only running 32 bit 2003 i guess its only gonna max at 3.4 something gigs.
but because im only running 2 gigs now i suppose every little bit helps.

i went to purchase some server memory and thought i would buy a couple of fully buffered 2 gig sticks but upon removing the cover of my proliant box and reading the decal it says to install ddr2 unbuffered memory.

what do you suggest.
buffer or unbuffered?
8 REPLIES 8
J├╡x
Advisor
Solution

Re: to buffer or non buffer

If you dont plan to go higher than 4gigs unbuffered should be OK. Depends on what server you are running.

- Unbuffered DDR-1 DIMMs place the load of all the DDR modules on the system memory bus, but they can be used in systems that do not require high memory
capacity.
- Registered DDR-1 DIMMs place only one load per DIMM on the memory bus, regardless of how many SDRAM devices are on the
module. Therefore, these DIMMs are best suited for servers with very high
memory capacities.

Remember DDR2 is modified DDR1 so this should also apply to DDR2.
Got a blade?
miami_meiguoren
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the quick reply,
so basically your saying because im only running a 32 bit system it really doesnt matter whether or not its buffered or unbuffered.
because its going to max out at 3.4 Gigs no matter how many sticks i use.
J├╡x
Advisor

Yes, that is true also.

I should have mentioned that if you have a RAM bandwithd critical system then you should use Fully Buffered DIMMs but I guess in your case the little extra performance isnt critical compared to the extra $$$ you have to spend.
Got a blade?
miami_meiguoren
Occasional Advisor

thank you very much
u84823
Regular Advisor

You will see the full 4GB, less the amount of physical video ram, in Server 2003 Std Edition provided that DEP is enabled in Windows and the BIOS is set to enable the NX bit, and the processor support NX bit and PAE.

HTH
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

for a x32 bit OS you have to enable PAE, to do so just add /PAE at the end of the boot ini file, keep in mind that .5GB will be utilized by the PCI cards so work properly....
to avoid this issue, install a x64 bit OS

JQ
miami_meiguoren
Occasional Advisor

it showed all 4 gigs.

thanks all
miami_meiguoren
Occasional Advisor

thank you for the help,
i installed 2 sticks of 2 gigs and all 4 showed up