4365 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

troubles with boot system on HPA on ProLiant DL580 Gen9

slamar
Visitor

troubles with boot system on HPA on ProLiant DL580 Gen9

Hello,

I'm new with HPE devices, I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions about basic knowledge.

I have to configure ProLiant DL580 Gen9, requirement about it is to be able easy swap the hard drives between this server and another one much less powerful (like a pendrive) I cannot use RAID for it or Logical drive created by software in this server. In smart storage configuration, I read I need to set my controller in HPA mode. I did it. Then I install Ubuntu server LTS 20.04.3. I normally saw hard drive, installation succeed, grub also installed. I was happy I succeed, but then I reboot server and I got information there is no bootable devices. Furthermore, I checked the if the drive it has content with system.  Yes it has it, I was thinking there is sth wrong with Ubuntu I tried Debian. The same happening. 

After that, I change controller mode to Raid, install system to check if system can boot on it. It works, but it is not that I want.

Thanks for your time to read it
Best
Marcin (Slamar)

2 REPLIES 2
Cali
Honored Contributor

Re: troubles with boot system on HPA on ProLiant DL580 Gen9

Hello,

usually, you create a Boot Drive with 2x small Disk in Raid 1 (Kontroller) and all other Disks are big Data Disk with Hardware or Software Raid. Most Times, a Software Raid is not Bootable.

But you can also move the Disk Drives between Server if you use only HW Raid.
(Apply the latest Firmware on both Controller)

The HW Raid configuration is Stored on the Disks, this is because if your Raid Kontroller is dead you have to change with a Spare Controller.

You can (should) test it.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
support_s
System Recommended

Query: troubles with boot system on HPA on ProLiant DL580 Gen9

System recommended content:

1. Advisory: HP ProLiant Gen9 and ProLiant DL580 Gen8 Servers - HP-Branded Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Operating System DVD Media May Fail to Boot on HP ProLiant Servers with UEFI Boot Mode Enabled

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo