1753893 Members
7611 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

two HBAs in Proliant DL360G4

Alexander Miloev
Occasional Contributor

two HBAs in Proliant DL360G4

Is it possible to put two HBAs (2214) in new g4 server? The g3 have two PCI-X slots, but in new one there is "1 full length and 1 half length PCI-X slots". I'm in a hurry and will appreciate quick answer. 10x
8 REPLIES 8
Marko H.
Valued Contributor

Re: two HBAs in Proliant DL360G4

I'm not sure.

But have you considered :
StorageWorks 2 Gb, Dual Port, 64-Bit/133 MHz PCI-X-to-Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter for W2K, Windows Server 2003 and Linux
NOTE: FCA2214DC StorageWorks 2 Gb Dual Port, Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter is a 64-bit/133 MHz, PCI-X-to Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter (HBA) with an embedded multi-mode optical interface.
Part Number: 321835-B21

There is also a .pdf attachment. There you'll find a table in the section Standard Features / Expansion Slots. You might find your answer there.
If you check the pdf a litle further you will also find some info about HBA 2214 - but i think you already have that.
Alexander Miloev
Occasional Contributor

Dual port HBA does not fitful the requirements in my case. I've already have Quick specs, nothing useful there about two PCI cards except that there are "1 full length and 1 half length PCI-X slots". Thank you anyway for the help.
The interesting point is that web configurator fails with any two PCI cards (x or regular) with error message "PCI slot number specified exceeded.├в
As I have already ordered 380 instead of 360, the question remains in academic interest for me :
Ricardo Koscky

Hi, Alexander...
did you get an answer or any HP document about this question? I'm in the same situation as you were, but I'm not sure (probably not) I could use the DL380. Thanks.
Kai-Uwe Schurig
Valued Contributor

Hi,

hmm, tricky question.
I found two documents, but unfortunately they did not clearly explain it to me.

HP local I/O strategy for ProLiant servers:

http://h200007.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00231623/c00231623.pdf

---cut---
"The standard PCI Express card will be the standard height, full length, and same size as todays PCI cards."
---cut---

Looking at the pictures there and compare it to the pictures of the 2214 HBA at http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11711_div/11711_div.html

i guess it is a full lenght card, but i'm not sure ;-)

If i find a HBA i can try it, a DL360 G4 is already in my testlab.

Regards,

Kai-Uwe
Ricardo Koscky

Kai-Uwe...
according to the "11711_div" document, the dimensions for that adapter are 6.600 x 2.536 in (16.764 x 6.441 cm). So, as you already got a DL360 G4 in your testlab, could you fisically measure the maximum length allowed for a adapter attached at the "half-length slot" (it seems to be space constrained only because of the memory DIMM slots)? Thanks.
Kai-Uwe Schurig
Valued Contributor

Hi,

ok, i figured it out.
The maximum lenght for a card in the "half lenght slot" in a DL 360 G4 is about 18 cm.
It is constrained by the DIMM slots.
So the FC HBA 2214 with a lenght of 16,764 cm should fit into this slot.

Of course you had to test it by yourself, but this are my measurements ;-)

Regards,

Kai-Uwe

Kai-Uwe Schurig
Valued Contributor

Hi again,

just to avoid futher discussions here the complete measurements:

Half length slot:

length: about 18 cm
height: about 10 cm

Full length slot:

lenght: about 30 cm
height: about 10 cm

For confusion note that the slots are tipped over in this small servers using a PCI riser card. So height means width in that case ;-)

Thats it from my side.

Kai-Uwe
Jens Tornow
Occasional Advisor

Hi Alexander / Hi Kay-Uwe,

i have the theme problem with the card-length.
The answer from Kai-Uwe was the soloution for my quest.
Thanks to Kai-Uwe for his efforts.

Alexander give him 10 points for the good solution ;-} !!!!

best regards Je.To.