cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ultra 320 scsi drives cause "no device found" when installing RHEL 3

Paul Henderson_2
Frequent Advisor

ultra 320 scsi drives cause "no device found" when installing RHEL 3

I have two hundred new DL385 systems with Ultra320 scsi drives. When I boot a system from the RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 CD, the installation starts, but after the disk partitioning step, I get the error "no devices found".

I tried to download the 'mptlinux' drivers from the web, putting them on a floppy disk using 'dd', then doing a "boot: linux update dd", but I just get the same error.

I had assumed that Linux is supported on the DL385, as per the "supported systems" matrix.
3 REPLIES
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Re: ultra 320 scsi drives cause "no device found" when installing RHEL 3

You might need SmartStart. You can use it to specify which OS you wish to install.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

What version of RedHat EL 3 are you using ?

Early versions of RHEL3 (pre update 3 IIRC) don't have support for the 6i controller used on the DL385.

Download the latest Update from RedHat, burn the ISOs and you should find that it will see the hard drives.

I'd have thought they would have updated this by now, but HP was only shipping RHEL3 Update 1 last time we bought the OS from them...

Cheers,
Rob
Paul Henderson_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded RHEL3, Update 6, and it booted fine and saw the drives (thanks Rob!).

My previous CDs were Update 1, hence the lack of support.

In production, I'll be booting these systems using a NFS boot method, so I'll build an Update 6 distribution and point the systems to it. Works like a charm... I don't have to load all the systems individually.

Thanks again!