Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to create spare disk using hpacucli

RahulD
Occasional Visitor

unable to create spare disk using hpacucli

Hi ,

I have HP DL380-G5 Proliant with SmartArray P800. I have created 6 logical disk . one of the physical disk failed in 6th logical disk. Now the ld status becomes "Interim data recovery" mode. I tried to create an spare disk using the hpacucli command ,but it returns an error message saying "This operation is not supported with the current configuration" .
3 REPLIES
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: unable to create spare disk using hpacucli

hi,

how much disk physical disk you have and which RAID level ???

if you are using all disk in your current configuration and you don't have online spare them you need to replace the failed disk, and them you could make some reconfiguration, migration to another configuration.

mikap
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

I believe you're not allowed to change the configuration of a logical drive while there's a failed disk in the disk set used by it.

When running in 'Interim Data Recovery' mode, you have NO REDUNDANCY, so your data is at risk. For that reason 'tampering' with the setup is not allowed.

Or it just may be that the way you've defined the drives doesn't allow a spare for that specific one?
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi

I am not convinced the failed is the problem really as even with failed drive it should allow you to declare a spare and after it's configured to start a rebuild automatically(haven't tested it, just in theory).

What is the exact config - how many physical drives, how many arrays and logical drives do you have(screenshot of the ACU?).
What command are you executing exactly - can you paste it?
Also why aren't you simply replacing the disk instead of defining a spare?

Regards