New Discussion юеВ

Re: unexpected shutdown

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hunter1ok
Occasional Contributor

unexpected shutdown

Hi,

this happens on one or two of the servers, the room temperature,power etc are fine, what I can see is all users on the server disconnected and when I log in again on the server I will see the "last shutdown was unexpected" logger window.

Checked Event Log and seems everything is fine and as usual, the only entry related is

"Event Type: Error
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 12:49:47 PM on 1/15/2007 was unexpected."

Can I do something to detect any unstable thing in my system might have caused this? I was running drwatson but it did not catch anything so I assume it's more like a hardware issue.

Any ideas appreciated.

I have all the CDs came with the DL380G4 server, but the HP Proliant integrated management log viewer is not providing anything related and I can't remember anything else I could install from the disk to monitor the chip temperature etc.

Cheers,
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What you are probably experiencing is that the ASR (Automatic Server Recovery) features of your server are kicking in and causing it to reboot. (although I'd have thought that should have been logged in the IML)

So ASR has determined that something, maybe software or hardware, has caused the machine to hang, and reboots it for you to get things going again.

To figure out what's happening turn off ASR (there's an option in the BIOS I think) and then keep a close eye on your servers for any hangs or blue screens etc.

I have had a DL380 G4 which was experiencing similar problems, which turned out to be down to duff memory, but there could be many other causes.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Hunter1ok
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rob,

Today another server rebooted and did caught something in IML this time!

Could you also let me know if the following service means the IML is definitely running (on the server rebooted without a clue):

HP ProLiant Remote Monitor Service

Provides support for the HP ProLiant Integrated Management Log Viewer.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CpqRcmc.exe

Thanks
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The IML is always running... Its part of the "firmware" on the system board and writes log details out to NVRAM.

The Remote Monitor Service simply allows you to view the IML from a different machine on the network.

Cheers,

Rob
Ozan GUNAYDIN
Frequent Advisor

You can open array configuration utility and look at the logs. IF you can see Raid controller battery is low message, that can be the reason of reboots.
Hunter1ok
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Ozan for the hint.

Found the only battery information with Arry accelerator information:

Array accelerator:
Present: Yes
Cache status: Enabled
Ratio: 50% Read 50% Write
Total Memory: 192MB on controller
battery pack: 1
battery status: OK

The server rebooted again unexpectedly, ARS has been turned off (which caught nothing in the previous shutdown).

Any more ideas?