1752785 Members
5659 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

unexpected shutdowns

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

unexpected shutdowns

I am having problems with our new server unexpectedly shutting down. Our network technician (outside firm) can not find any explanation. This is super annoying when the workstations need to reboot. If you have any suggestions, send me an email at admin@capcity1.net
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: unexpected shutdowns

What firmware does the system have installed? Have you checked to see if anything is marked as an issue in Device Manager (Computer Managment)?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I too am having a similar problem with unexpected shutdowns. The system is in a hung state every morning and the last thing the event log reports is the Event ID 6008 which is normally for about the same time 00:57 each night. There is nothing in the application / system log previous to that which would indicate why the system should be hanging. There are no scheduled events and I have check the power management etc.

The server performs the following roles:

Domain Controller with AD installed
DHCP Server
MS Exchange 5.5 Server
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had the same problem, but with Exchange2000. By default, there is a schedule of on-line defragmentation of the exchange every night (you can view in the application event log a event like "ESE97 beggin of full pas on the database" before the time of hung). During this operation, there is a disk intensive process. If you have 2 disks in the same SCSI port, put each disk in a different SCSI port, and use the CPQ32FS2 driver version 5.2.0.0.

And see http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/EM001017_CW01_0.html
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Renatoy has hit the nail on the head. We were having exactly the same problem overnight the server would shutdown at between 1:50am and 2:15am. We replaced the power supply, motherboard and memory with the same result. I then found Renatoy notes and we then installed,
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/10249.html
The scsi driver update did the trick, no more shutdowns.