ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753547 Members
5698 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

uninstalled IE10 and now HP ACU refuses to start - unable to download ACU.htm from ACU-XE

KubaL
Frequent Advisor

uninstalled IE10 and now HP ACU refuses to start - unable to download ACU.htm from ACU-XE

hello,

I encountered a weird problem with HP ACU. accidentally I pulled IE10 update from Windows Update and since it was annoying to use it in ESC mode (couldn't add exceptions) I decided to remove it from Programs & Features on WIndows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Now running IE8 and noticed that HP ACU does not launch anymore (used to work normally) which is completely weird, because I tried uninstalling it and installing again (9.30 version) and still the same problem.

I shows me Setup screen (Local vs Remote), I chose local and then get Page Cannot Get Displayed error with a pop up window in IE8 stating "Unable to download ACU.htm from ACU-XE".

I checked netstat and server is listening on ports 2301 and 2381, HP SMH runs normally, HP ACU CLI runs, it's just the GUI ACU unable to start.

any help please?

server: HP Proliant ML350 G8

5 REPLIES 5
KubaL
Frequent Advisor

Re: uninstalled IE10 and now HP ACU refuses to start - unable to download ACU.htm from ACU-XE

I think it's not HP ACU being a problem. somethign is messed up with IE8. I cannot download any files from internet or intranet through IE8, same message pops up (unable to download file xxx from yyy).

going to reset IE8. if that doesn't help I will upgrade it back to IE10...
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

Re: uninstalled IE10 and now HP ACU refuses to start - unable to download ACU.htm from ACU-XE

Just open IE10 with compatibility mode using F12

On the Menu you found : Browser Mode: IE10 display compatibility click on it and choose IE7 or IE8 and everything will works fine

KubaL
Frequent Advisor

yeah, nothing could bring IE8 back to live and I tried literally everything I could find on google. eventually I re-installed IE10 and everything works normally again.

I also disabled IE ECS for Admins in Server panel and no more trouble.

kinda weird, because other windows 2008 r2 server we have runs normally with IE8 and it also had IE10 in past which was uninstalled. not sure what went wrong with this one. anyways, it works with IE10.

thanks for chiming in.

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

Follow the instructions below to uninstall Internet Explorer 10 on your system:

1. Click on the start button at the lower right on the screen.
  2. Enter uninstall a program and select the entry under Control Panel in the results listing.
  3. On the left sidebar, click on View installed updated. This displays all Windows updates installed on the system.
  4. Locate Windows Internet Explorer 10 under the Microsoft Windows group here.
  5. Right-click on the entry and select Uninstall from the context menu
  6. Select yes when the confirmation prompt appears and follow the instructions on the screen.
  7. You need to restart your system to complete the uninstallation of Internet Explorer 10. Windows will display a prompt to restart right then or at a later point in time.

Internet Explorer 8 or 9 are then again available on the system after you have restarted it once.

KubaL
Frequent Advisor

@scharchouf wrote:

Follow the instructions below to uninstall Internet Explorer 10 on your system:

1. Click on the start button at the lower right on the screen.
  2. Enter uninstall a program and select the entry under Control Panel in the results listing.
  3. On the left sidebar, click on View installed updated. This displays all Windows updates installed on the system.
  4. Locate Windows Internet Explorer 10 under the Microsoft Windows group here.
  5. Right-click on the entry and select Uninstall from the context menu
  6. Select yes when the confirmation prompt appears and follow the instructions on the screen.
  7. You need to restart your system to complete the uninstallation of Internet Explorer 10. Windows will display a prompt to restart right then or at a later point in time.

Internet Explorer 8 or 9 are then again available on the system after you have restarted it once.

I did exactly that to the letter in first place, all was successful and yet IE8 was completely broken like I described. I tried doing "Reset to Defaults" in IE8 settings, no luck. I also tried manually removing index.dat file, no luck. it was simply broken and unable to download any file from anywhere.