108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: upgrade to new drives Array Config Utility

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremiah Gillespie
Occasional Contributor

upgrade to new drives Array Config Utility

I am upgrading my 18G OS to 72G. I have it on RAID 1+0 on a 380/G2. When I place the 72G in it takes on the drive space of the 18G and doesn't see the rest of the 72G? Do I need third party software to resize the drive?
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

This is a 3-step process. First you replace the drives, one drive at a time and allowing the array to rebuild itself each time.
Then you have to expand the logical drive using the array configuration utility. And finally you need to expand the partition using an OS based utility.

In some cases you may NOT be able to do all 3 steps. It depends what server, raid controller, raid controller options and OS you have.
Jeremiah Gillespie
Occasional Contributor

Ok did as u suggested...I am in steps 2 completing the expansion part about 91% completeion. In regards to OS utility are you refereing to the "Disk management" or a third party utility e.g. Partition Manager? Also, do I need to expand both drives or just one?
TTr
Honored Contributor

Which OS do you have? Windows has a utility called "diskpart.exe" that expands the partition (for step 3). If you don't have the diskpart.exe, search on the microsoft web site for it.
> do I need to expand both drives...
The logical drive is one drive that is overlaid on the two physical drives. You are expanding the logical drive (one). The raid controller takes care of the overlaying of the logical drive on the two physical drives.

I am trying to do this also but can not get the ACU to expanded to inclued the new harddrive space.How do I do this?