1753621 Members
6297 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: upgrade

eva_7

upgrade

i have an old prolinea 4100 and im bored so i want to upgrade it
i dont know if i should upgrade the whole motherboard, or if i can, or maybe just the processor
i need help,
2 REPLIES 2
Bryan Eley
Trusted Contributor

What sort of an upgrade were you considering? Something like a 486 to Pentium upgrade?
Not having seen one of those in, well, a looong time, I don't recall the particular layout of the innards. If it's got a 486DX66 processor you might be able to search the web for an Intel overdrive processor that might boost speed up to a quasi-pentium level, but I'm not sure how much of a performance difference that would really get you in terms of cost effectiveness.
Whether or not you could put in a slightly newer motherboard would be dependent on the layout of the keyboard/mouse/comm/pci ports/slots, as well as the power supply's ability to connect to the motherboard, i.e., the power supply you have in the system might not have a compatible connector configuration for plugging into a newer motherboard.

If you're just curious about what the part types are or were availeble for the 4100, this link should point you to HP's repository of parts for your particular system, though I don't know if HP still offers the components for purchase, though you could peruse something like ebay.
http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/search_Product.asp?mscssid=G2W0LLXDUEF29GKUAT2172H096JNBME4&SearchCriteria=PROLINEA4100&Smethod=1&sRefAsp=Search_Multi_Product

Good luck!
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

The most performance you would see would be memory followed by a cpu upgrade. The machine is old but these two would make it run better.
I installed a AMD586-133mhz cpu in an old 486 system about six years ago for a business. They still use it, it is the paint calculating machine!
How much memory are you running and which operating system?
Hope this helps and Good Luck.