ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748266 Members
3117 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ups t1000 g2 and netware

J├╝rgenH

ups t1000 g2 and netware

has anyone experience with this combination?
the problem ist that the communication between the serial port and os fails. i tried hp power manager 4 agent and hp rack and power management agent 1.1 and could not perform any serial communication (ml370g3, netware 6.5 sp5)
i looked for conflicting bios settings (ilo, systemboard) but could not find any wrong entrys.
there is no problem in communication with t1000xr ups so i have no idea whats wrong.

7 REPLIES 7
Leonard Davison
Frequent Advisor

I am assuming this is new install, not one that was working and then stopped.

What serial cable are you using? Is it the one that came with the unit (201092-001 I think is right)?

Are you trying to OnliNet ?

Thanks!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

On the HP Power Manager V4.1 link it states that all Netware versions support "Remote Agent Only" which may mean that Netware ties up any comm port to the operating system. I'm not sure but you may get more information here.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/power-manager/index.html

Brian
J├╝rgenH

@leonhard: i used the original serial cable deliverd with the ups. i didn├В┬┤t give onlynet a try. instead of this i tried lansafe v5 from powerware but no success.

@brian: i tried every option with hppm 4.0 (agent only), hppm 4.1 (agent) which supports the g2 model of t1000 should work but is not available for netware.

i mention that new t1000 g2 model isn├В┬┤t supported by any available power management software for netware.
if i use the older t1000xr ups everything works fine.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

I think you are right Jurgen.

The 4.1 manager supports 4.0 agents but the Netware 6.5 agent (4.0) does not support the T1000 G2 so you won't get communication. It does mention that communication with the T1000G2 supports USB but I'm not sure that this will be OK for Netware either.

I think you should raise this with HP support to see if they are working on an updated agent for Netware. Try this link.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/at/de/contact_us.html

Regards,

Brian

J├╝rgenH

thnx for your fast response brian ;-)

walking the support way was the first thing i tried. i opened a case for the described problem. at least i talked with third level support from hp and got the same information from them which i found on the official sources (manuals, hp power section etc.)
i asked him to escalate the problem to the developers but this was not possible.

third level could not tell me a release date for the supported 4.1 agent.
another problem is the officially supported configuration, it applies to netware 65 sp2 but i use sp5 instead. backrev is no solution cause i will lose novell support instead.

our hardware supplier told me that the t1000xr ups is no longer available (retired product).

so i have no idea how to solve this challenge. maybe buying third party products but they also have to be tested/supported.

greetz - juergen
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Sorry to learn that HP can't progress your case.

Perhaps you can get a refund from your reseller and purchase a used T1000XR like this one. I know it's from the UK but it might be cheap enough in total once shipped to you even at ├В┬г60 extra for International delivery.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Compaq-T1000-XR-Uninterruped-Power-Supply-UPS-UK_W0QQitemZ280088148430QQihZ018QQcategoryZ75521QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck Jurgen.

Regards,

Brian

Rodd Masteller
Advisor

I am having the same problem with a new T1500G2 UPS. I can't get serial communications to work with NetWare 6.5 sp6 regardless of the HP software used. This is my first HP UPS and will probably be my last, unless someone has a solution???