ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use hp raid utility to upgrade hard drives sizes?

SOLVED
Go to solution

use hp raid utility to upgrade hard drives sizes?

all -- I have an HP Proliant DL360 g4 with 2x72GB HDD's in it in RAID1.
Those drives are full.
I've got 2x300GB drives I'd like to use. Is it possible, using the HP RAID Controller, to pull out the second 72GB drive in Bay 1 and replace it with a 300GB drive (Bay 1) -- let the 72GB(Bay #0) mirror itself to the 300GB (Bay #1) and then pull out the 72GB drive (Bay #0) and insert the other 300GB drive into Bay #0 and let the 300GB (Bay #1) drive mirror to the other 300GB drive in Bay #0?
Then use diskpart to extend the partitions from 72 to 300GB?

I've tried to Ghost the Win2003 server, but am having problems laying the Ghost image back down on the 300GB drives -- connection time out issues.

I wanted to see if I could bypass this software mess and just use RAID?

any 411/help would be great. thanks...
4 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: use hp raid utility to upgrade hard drives sizes?

It looks like you have the U320 SCSI controller and disks (72GB and 300GB) and most likely you are using the embedded 6i raid controller.

What you describes is the standard procedure for replacing the disks. But you missed one step. After the second 300GB disk has been replaced and the raid1 has rebuilt, you still the the logical drive with its original size. So before using the diskpart you need to extend the logical drive from its current size to the new one.

It looks like the 6i raid controller has these capabilities. There is no mention of the BBWC needed in the quickspecs. With the new SA controllers you need to have BBWC to be able to do online logical disk expansion.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11937_na/11937_na.HTML

Before you start any of the work, take a good backup (may be two), it is always a good idea before you start doing major disk work.

TTr -- yes -- sorry I left our the RAID controller information. Built in 6i controller and U320 SCSI 10k RPM disk.
I'll give your suggestion a try today and will update the forum for future/other's use.
thanks..

TTr -- to let you/anyone know -- I did have problems with the method I described. I was able to eventually get the Ghost method working to restore my image onto the 2x300GB drives and then use GParted to re-size the partitions. Research led me to do the following to get it working: single NIC connection on all hsots/servers involved; downloaded and created latest DOS-NDIS bootable driver for NIC cards; ran Ghost in non-CRC check mode. Took forever, but it worked.

I ended up just putting in both 300GB drives and laying the Ghost image down on them in RAID1.

I had an issue when I went to use the internal RAID controller to mirror the 72GB to the 300GB. It saw the 300GB drive but wouldn't let me add it to the existing logical drive. It would only let me add it to a new logical drive. So I couldn't get both drives into the same logical drive. The GUI Array program in Windows showed me a prettier version of the same thing. :(

thanks for the tips/help though...

TTr
Honored Contributor

I assume you did what you described in your initial posting
"...pull out the second 72GB drive in Bay 1 and replace it with a 300GB drive (Bay 1) -- let the 72GB(Bay #0) mirror itself to the 300GB (Bay #1) and then pull out the 72GB drive (Bay #0) and insert the other 300GB drive into Bay #0 and let the 300GB (Bay #1) drive mirror to the other 300GB drive in Bay #0?"

That's exactly how it is done. However in your last reply you are saying "...It saw the 300GB drive but wouldn't let me add it to the existing logical drive."

Did you pull a 72GB drive before you inserted the 300GB drive?

In any case I am glad it worked out for you. Having backups and OS images was an excellent idea on your part.