1752720 Members
5875 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

using standard PCI board in PCIX slot on ML570g2

tw eby
Occasional Contributor

using standard PCI board in PCIX slot on ML570g2

Are there any known issues putting a 32bit 33mHz PCI card in one of the PCI-X slots on an ML570g2 server?
I am trying to put together a replacement SCO UNIX server. Reading all of the documentation for this server, it indicated that this would work, but when I put an old Computone Intelliport II EX PCI board in the serve and fired it up, several of the traces on the card tab and in the slot promptly melted ruining both the card and the slot.
Don't know the status of the card because I got it off of Ebay, but it looked OK when I got it.
I was hoping someone could tell me if I did a no-no or just had a bad board.
Thanks in advance.
Tom
4 REPLIES 4
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: using standard PCI board in PCIX slot on ML570g2

It has been a long time since PCI days, but I think you did a no-no. IIRC PCI-X is 3.3V only, and many "PCI-1X" aka 33 MHz 32 bit were 5.0 v (gotta love all those X's).

However, unless someone was "clever" with the keying on the card (or perhaps the slot) if the card were 5.0 V only it _should_ not have been physically possible to insert the card into the slot.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
tw eby
Occasional Contributor

talk about shear stupidity on my part :-(
I was working on the server after midnight when it went up in smoke. This morning when I came in I saw that what I had done was to plug the card that was keyed for 5v into the pci-x slot on the server that was keyed for 3.3v. It accually will fit without any alteration of either the card or the slot. It fits by moving the card back such that the front part of the pci card goes into the middle of the pci-x slot and the back part of the card goes in the back end of the pci-x slot.
I guess that now I will have to try to find an adapter to install a 5v card in a 3.3v slot, if such a thing exists.

Tom
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

yes, they are rotated on 180 degrees...the bad here is that you could have damaged the slot too(systemboard) with the irregular voltage...

Pac
rick jones
Honored Contributor

WRT a "converter" I suspect your best bet will be some sort of PCI-X to external PCI chassis solution.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows