ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753761 Members
4957 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: what is the use of Two BBWC Battery in DL 380 G4 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jitz
Occasional Advisor

what is the use of Two BBWC Battery in DL 380 G4 ?

Hi, with respect to an error showing " 1794 slot 2 Drive Array array accelerator battery charge is low, array accelerator battery should be replaced" I noticed two BBWC battery in DL 380 G4, The Array cotroller using is 6400 Controller showing 192 MB memory. What is the use of having two BBWC battery pack.Server is now not booting up because of this error and I tried by swapping it and removing one by one. But still the same error is showing, Do i need to purchase two new BBWC batterys for making the server up. Could anyone help me...

-jitz
7 REPLIES 7
PZel
Trusted Contributor
Solution

see: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ProLiant-ML530-G2-Smart-Array-6400-Firmware-2-84-Array/m-p/4771525#M110840

One battery is for the BBWC (little brd on the 6400), and one for the controller (see doc). Sometimes replacing the battery's doesn't help. The best thing to do is order the BBWC and the battery on it. (see link).

Actually, there is probably another battery for the integrated 6i controller (on the right side of the frame).

I have never seen that the system won't power up because of an battery. Probably you see: to continue. When a battery goes FAILED, the cache will only be disabled !

PZ
Jitz
Occasional Advisor

In my case Server is not loading in to OS. Also the BBWC installed is 128 MB, But why its showing 192 MB in the POST.
PZel
Trusted Contributor

Because there is also some memory (64MB) on the 6400 itself +128MB cache gives 192MB

Most of the time the O/S is installed on the disks inside of the front of the DL380G4.
Those disks (6) are most of the time connected to the integrated 6i controller. (unless that backplane is connected internally to the 6400 via flatcable's from the 6400 to the backplane of the six drives). Most of the time a storage enclosure is connected (external) to the 6400 with logical drives on it.

When you don't see in the POST (Power On Self Test) something about a 6i controller, then probably your system brd (in the DL380G4) is faulty and should be replaced).

When you're absolutely sure that the O/S was installed on disks connected to the 6400 then the BOOT CONTROLLER ORDER in the RBSU (F9) must be set to the 6400.
In case it was installed on disks connected to the 6i controller (check wiring inside the server) then the BOOT CONTROLLER ORDER in the RBSU (F9) must be set to the 6i.
PZ
Jitz
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I verified boot controller order and it is set to 6400 only. I also checked RAID Configuration pressing "F8", All HDD are connected to 6400 controller only. I opened access panel and physically checked, its connected to 6400 Card only. But still its not booting in to OS. Still the server is down and data inside HDD is very important. So I cannot format and install a new OS. Please help me to make server up without losing DATA.
PZel
Trusted Contributor

So what you are saying:
Inside the DL380G4 there is a flatcable from the backplane of the 6 disks (in front of the DL380G4) to one of the connectors (A1 or A2) that are in top of the 6400 card ?? (Maybe you exchanged the connection the two ports by mistake)

You said: Pressing F8 gives a Logical Drive A (consist of which drives: Port 2, drive 0/1 or Port 1 drive 2/3/4 or 5) or something else ??

As I already mentioned:
Normally you use a mirrored set for the O/S installed on the disks in front of the DL380G4 (via the integrated 6i controller). On the 6400 then you connect
externally a Storage box.

You really should make a bootable CD/stick (for intance UBCD4Win), so that you can check, whether it is a hardware or software problem. You can also check the hardware with the SmartStart CD (Maintain a Server/Diagnose).

You said: Cannot boot. Are there any errors,
or is for instance the boot.ini not pointing to the Windows ? configuration.

PZ
Jitz
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

No I did not exchange the cables which are connected to ports of controller.

By pressing F8 I am able to view all the 6 Drives which are connected like you said,
Port 1, Drive number, Hard Drive Size

I don├в t think there is any Mirrored set of HDD is connected to 6i Controller because all HDD is connected to 6400, I find it by counting the size and number of HDD connected to 6400 in ORCA.

I cannot find 6i controller ORCA option in POST. It may be disabled in BIOS, is there any option to disable it in BIOS?

I tried with older and latest Smart Start CDs to get diagnose report, but its not at all booting from DVD drive (Internal and External USB).

I could not find any error except battery has to replace warning. There is no sign of taking any windows boot file.
PZel
Trusted Contributor

Couple of questions:
1)When you press F9 (entering Setup or RBSU):
and you go to PCI Devices(2nd option) : is there only a 6400 controller visible and not a 6i at IRQ5?
2) When you exit RBSU, is there a message "Current Boot Controller is 6400"
3) When you enter F8 (ORCA), are there more Logical Drive's , for instance:
LogDrive1/RAID1+0/33GB/OK
LogDrive2/RAID5/72GB/OK
(So, are all LogDrives OK, Failed , or is there only one RAID 5 LogDrive ??)

To my knowledge you cannot disable the 6i controller.

Whenever you cannot boot the SmartStart CD,
then your CD is bad OR the CD drive has a failure (happens often with this CD Drive).
You can try to use another CD Drive just by
clicking in the hole just left from the CD Drive: the drive itself ejects from the server. You then try another CD OR DVD drive.
Maybe you try to put a DVD in a CD drive ??
Use for DL380G4 for instance SmartStart 7.80 or 8.15 (all CD's, not DVD)

It is also possibe to make an bootable USB
stick, but then you need first a goodworking CD/DVD for that. Look for "HP USB Key Utility"
PZ