cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

win2k

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

win2k

i have a all singing and dancing ultra3 dual scsi card that i need to "down grade" to hard code fast-wide scsi so the backup works, i dont have cntrl-A on boot
Q. how do i get to the settings for this card

tia
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: win2k

Two questions spring trippingly to mind. First, the second internal SCSI channel is set up for backup, either via the rear panel SCSI connector or through the use of the interal cable tucked down underneath the CD rom. Second, the controller will automatically adjust to FW scsi as it starts out in that mode and only goes higher if the drive responds that it can do so. Depending on the connectorization of the device you are attaching (which it would have helped to specify) you may need an adapter from Ultra to wide (Granite Digital, www.scsipro.com has anything you need). Also be carefull to use good active terminators, the bus is still Ultra 3 even if the drive is not being run that way.

As far as forcing the controller, Cntrl-A only works for BIOS request, not for native OS I/O requests. OS queries device and makes appropriate settings dependant on the device's reply. You do not easily enter into this process (you can hack registry keys, it is not advised, it realy does know better).
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: win2k

Thanks for that post tsabatini... Good info for all.