1753752 Members
5535 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: windows 2k/3k scsi disk errors.

joep3

windows 2k/3k scsi disk errors.

Hi,
I'm having a problem trying to install an old dl580 g1 (700mhz). I just keep having the same problem with my scsi/disk configuration.
I have a compaq integrated dual channel wide ultra 2 scsi controller.
I'm trying to perform a clean windows 2000 advanced server. I have used the smartstart cd 5.5 to do a system erase. next i tried to use the smartstart cd to perform the win2k advanced server installation. The whole process looks fine, until it gets to the point that all the windows files are copied over and the system reboots to start the "dos" portion of the windows install.When the words "windows is starting" arise, the system gets an bsod. (inaccessible boot device).
I tried to get around this problem by hitting F6, but it looks like windows ignores that.
I also tried to just boot from my windows 2000 advanced server cd hit f6 and adding the right scsi driver.This works, but then i get the message " windows cannot install on this disk" (don't remember the exact words).
Finally, i tried windows 2003, but similar problems.
The drives seems to be working, because hitting F10 gives me the config screen.
I'm stuck. Am i missing something important along the track? I hope you guys can help me out.
7 REPLIES 7
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Make sure you have last firmware (include SCSI disks firmware)
You can use Firmware Maintenance CD 7.40
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23331.html for firmware update.
You wrote "I have a compaq integrated dual channel wide ultra 2 scsi controller".
But DL580 G1 has Integrated Smart Array Controller - why you not use it?
See this thread as well
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=59820
(see last Kris answer)
joep3

I already tried booting from the firmware maintenance cd 7.40 & 7.40B. What happens is that the server tries to boot from the cd,but hangs when it says "loading drivers......". When i remove the 2 scsi disks, and reboot again, the firmware cd loads, but ofcours without the scsi devices.

How can i check witch scsi controller i really have installed in my system?
What i can see is that there is 1 scsi cable running from my scsi disks at the front, to a long pci card (port1) On this pci card is also my vga & network connector attached.
thanks.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Your DL580G1 server should have an Integrated Smart Array controller installed on the Peripheral Board to the left of SCSI port 1 on this peripheral board. This was called the Raid-on-Chip (ROC) controller.

This integrated Smart Array controller is based on Smart-2 technology. The driver kit for this and other Smart-2 based controllers was missing the TXTSETUP.OEM file to allow the devices to be added manually by pressing F6 when loading the operating system, so it fails to load.

I have attached the driver kit which includes a TXTSETUP.OEM file. Copy these files to a blank formatted floppy disk and try installing Windows 2000 again. There is also an image of the peripheral board and ROC to help you identify the components.

I hope this helps.

Brian
joep3

mmmm....i think i miss the raid-on-chip module. There's nothing in the socket.

I bought the server on ebay, (that explains a lot....(lol)
The drivers on the disk that Brian suggested are not the problem.(unfortunally)

Is there another way to let windows access the drives? I tried a bootable cd-rom with partitionmagic on it, and i then have full access to my disks.
strange.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help.
Patrick Matthews_2
Occasional Advisor

Use the Smart Start to wipe the system, configure the array, and add the system partition. Once you've done that boot to the Windows install CD. The minute Windows starts loading hit F6 to add a third party driver. Have the Compaq driver on a floppy. Setup will prompt you to insert the floppy with the correct driver later in the installation. Not the smoothest initial install, but it should work, done it 100's of times
Of course I don't lokk busy, I did it right the first time
joep3

Patrick, Apparently i don't have an array, so i can't define one. I only have 2 scsi disks.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The ROC chip isn't expensive and there is one on E-Bay for less than 10 GBP (UK).

It must be the -002 variant for the DL580 model, not the -001.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPAQ-158855-002-PROLIANT-16MB-INTEGRATED-SMART-ARRAY_W0QQitemZ5858819626QQcategoryZ1484QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe worth a try to get your system the way it should be.

Brian