cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong SCSI ID on Smart Array 5i Controller

Erick Wisler
Occasional Visitor

wrong SCSI ID on Smart Array 5i Controller

When booting a Proliant ML370 G2 with a Smart Array 5i controller I get the following error: 1777 - Slot 0 Drive Array Proliant Storage Enclosure Problem detected - SCSI Port 1: I/O board responding at wrong SCSI ID - check cables and Storage Systems I/O boards. The F1 Key needs then to be pressed to force the OS (Windows 2000 Server) to start but it seems to run properly. Thanks for your help.
5 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: wrong SCSI ID on Smart Array 5i Controller

Hi,
Please update the firmware version of 5i controller since I have seen this message before and had it corrected by updating the firmware. Please use SP19677 which can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/storage/us/download/14694.html

Regards,
Erick Wisler
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

sorry but the upgrade to version 1.92 did not help. Same message still appearing. I have a second identical server. Everything is configured in the same way and there is no error message. What should I check or try?

Kind Regards
Jeff Mathews
Respected Contributor

Are your SCSI A and SCSI B cables connected to the wrong controller? They should be color coded (blue and yellow I think)

Jeff
Erick Wisler
Occasional Visitor

thank you Jeff. I will try tomorrow. As I have two same Proliant Servers, one working just fine and the other one with the Smart Array error message, I upgraded both systems (incl. Smart Array 5i controllers) at the same level and swapped the controllers to check whether the error was linked with the controller or not. Actually the two controller are working fine with the first system and sending the same error message with the second one. I suspect something to be wrong with the system itself and will check the cable as you suggest.
Erick Wisler
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jeff,

thank you as you gave me a way to solve the problem. The cable was definitely correctly connected (not even possible to wrongly insert it) but probably had some defect. As soon as I replaced it with another cable provided with the machine (hidden on the side of the CDs) everything worked fine. I will call HP to have the defectuous cable replaced.