108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

16MB integrated Smart Array controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1198160
Advisor

16MB integrated Smart Array controller

Can any one tell me how to use the 16MB integrated Smart Array controller on an ML370 G1.Drives used any info.
7 REPLIES 7
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Re: 16MB integrated Smart Array controller

Hi Richard:

This is The ROC or RAID ON CHIP Controller
, it has ORCA or F8 Bios. you can use to create an Array.

the 16mb is Read only cache and it is used automatically. Unless you are using the scsi and you don't have the ROC installed.

If you have the ROC installed then it is being used.

Now if you need the driver for that controller to do windows install ; you can use the NT5.0 driver cp002547.exe , this driver can be used with windows 2000 and 2003 install also.

If the case is disabled then the controller is useless and will give you errors at post.

I hope that I've answered your question. I am not sure what you are really asking. but if you need further help please post here and I will reply to you.

HP ProLiant Smart Array-2 Controllers Driver for Windows NT 4.0 version 4.6.0.32 D (4 Dec 02) http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/15646.html

-

Best regards,

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
CA1198160
Advisor

I appreciate the help. I know that this might be kind of vague, what I'm trying to accomplish, but I have an ML370 server that I'm trying to set up for a customer. They would like me to utilize this small integrated Smart Array controller if at all possible. Have been able to install W2K3 on this server using a 5300 Raid card. But this card is not customers. Last night I did this install after changing hard drives Wide-Ultra Sczy 1000RPM drives. Problem being that when trying to install NT4 or W2K3 I get to set up the starting Windows and am told no hard drives installed in computer. Have used erase utility and configured Raid and boot controller but Windows software does not see any hard drives installed in system. This has been beating me over the head for the last 3 weeks, don't know what I keep tripping over or missing. The person KOB has helped me overcome this first install but using this little controller card has become a real problem. Your help would be appreciated.
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor
Solution

Richard:

If windows dosenot find any drives and you have already specified the Boot controller as being the integrated and you have created the logical drive.

meaning at post the ROC is detected and dose see a logical drive. (1 logical drive found)

next will be your F6 and providing windows with the driver I have specified above.

you can also do assisted install with the smartstart cd:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/ssdownloads.asp

1- Boot controller order in the bios
2- logical drive created with that controller
3- F6 and make sure that the o/s has the right driver for that controller if doing manual install.

Best regards,

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
CA1198160
Advisor

When trying to install NT4 at the F6 point for the driver I used the one you said I still get "setup did not find any harddrives installed ".

When installing W2K3 I add no new drivers and it installs just fine with the same HD ,controller,and raid setup.The new driver you said to use will not work at all gives same error message.

Would this lead you belive that the driver is bad?Still trying to get NT4 on this ML370 with 2 800mhz cpus 768mg ram and 5 4.1 gig drives.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hello,

that driver Tarek specified should work. I just checked - there's a txtsetup.oem in that package. When NT4 setup boots, there is no message displayed for pressing F6 (but pressing F6 still works). You must be sure you're pressing F6 early enough, i.e. as soon as you see a blue background press F6 several times. If you do it at the correct time, the first thing you will be asked is if you want to add SCSI drivers. Then press S, select other driver, and insert the floppy with the files you extracted from the download. If it's not the first prompt you get, and add the driver later then it will not find any hard disks.

Regards,
Stephen
CA1198160
Advisor

Stephen I do not think I an getting you gentleman to unberstand me well.I have done as yoy said and at the F6 promp install the driver and it shown in setup but once you hit enter key yo go to the next step ,setup says no harddrives are installed and stops setup install. I an still lost.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Richard,

two things you can check/try:
Have you set the Integrated Smart Array controller as the primary boot controller? It should be an option in F8 setup of the controller.

Second, have you tried creating the NT4 boot floppies and booting from them? I had to manually install an NT 4 server a while ago and I couldn't get anywhere until I used these.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EM990203_CW01

If you manually add drivers there, you'll need the Smart Array and the standard IDE/ATAPI CDROM driver to continue the install.

Have you got a copy of SmartStart 5.50 available? You could also try that to install the OS. You can download an ISO image of the CD here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/ssdownloads.asp

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Stephen