ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Add SATA Drives to ML150 with E200 Controller

Ron Wielage
Occasional Visitor

Add SATA Drives to ML150 with E200 Controller

I bought a couple HP SATA drives to add to our Proliant ML150 server with an E200 controller. We already had 4 SAS drives. I've slid the drives in and connected the second wiring harness to the controller and the two drives. When I power up the computer the controller doesn't recognize the drives. The drives, in fact, don't appear to power on.

The drive cables all have power cables that sprout from them. On the SAS drives these aren't used. The SAS drives seem to get their power from the main connector. The SAS drives don't even have a jack for a power connector. On these SATA drives there is a small power connector jack. Do power cables need to be run to them? Or is there something else I need to do to activate the controller for these drives?

Thanks!
Ron
5 REPLIES 5
Ron Wielage
Occasional Visitor

Re: Add SATA Drives to ML150 with E200 Controller

I meant to say there are power connector sockets (not jacks) on the new SATA drives.

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Wielage
Occasional Visitor

I've looked up these drives on the Seagate site. What I thought might be a "power socket" is in fact four jumpers. Okay, so why don't the drives spin up? Do I need to set jumpers for 1.5 Gb?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ron
Aaron Rutledge

Ron-did you ever have any luck with this? I have similar hardware and the same issue. I'm using an E200 in a DL180 G5 with the same symptoms. The drives don't spin up at all and the controller UI says there are no drives attached.
Ron Wielage
Occasional Visitor

Yeah, I figured it out (finally). The power cables that come from the harness need to be plugged into power cables from the power supply. The drives didn't spin up simply because they had no power.

However, the performance of SATA drives connected to the E200 controller is lousy. I eventually attached them to the SATA controller on the motherboard. The performance is better, but still not great. You might look into a different controller for SATA drives.

Ron
Aaron Rutledge

Thanks for responding. It turned out to be a defective E200 card in my case. Performance isn't great but sufficient for my application.