Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
ProLiant Servers - Netservers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add more drives to G1610T microserver

KFAMed
Occasional Contributor

Add more drives to G1610T microserver

I bought a G1610T microserver a couple months ago to make a media server using xpenology.

This allows upto 12 drives, but of course this server only have space for 4.

Does anyone know of any way to attach 12 drives to this microserver, via external drives or any other method?

2 REPLIES
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Add more drives to G1610T microserver

The system does have an open PCIe slot. The supported Smart Array is a P222 which has 1 internal and  1 external port.

If you get this card, I'd move the internal drives to this controller as well and disable the onboard B120i

Smart Array P222 Quickspecs

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04111474.pdf?ver=3

THis controller supports both SAS and SATA drives. You can have both types of drives attached to the controller, but each array on the controller must consist of 1 type. You can have multiple arrays i.e. your 4 current internal drives are SATA they can be in Array A, and your external drives can be SAS and put in ARRAY B

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
KFAMed
Occasional Contributor

Re: Add more drives to G1610T microserver

I know it's been a long time since last post but didnt understand how to go about what you said, like what powers the drives you add to the smart array.

What got me interested in trying to do this is what this guy did  https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18528018&page=31  second post down.

However the guys doesnt give an in depth tutorial on how he does it.

I am not firmiliar with server hardware, smart array etc so need some instructions on how to do it.