1752578 Members
4766 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding CPU to Proliant ML350 G3 running SBS2000

CA1326787

Adding CPU to Proliant ML350 G3 running SBS2000

Hi,

I have client with a Proliant ML350 G3 running Windows Small Business Server 2000.

They have recently acquired a second CPU and would like to have it installed. I have checked that this is possible via Microsoft KB article 234558:HOW TO: Add Support for Multiple Processors in Windows 2000.

My concern with the above article is where they mention the following:
"Note that before you change the computer type, contact your computer manufacturer to determine if there is a vendor-specific HAL that you should use instead of the standard HAL that is included in Windows 2000."

My question thus being: Is there a vendor-specific HAL for the ML350 G3 running SBS2000?

Also if there is anything specific I should look out for before proceeding with the installation of the additional 3Ghz Xeon CPU?

Lastly did I attached a jpeg (MP and HAL.jpg)with a screen clipping from the System Info and Device Manager Computer Properties. You will notice that in the System Info it already list 2 CPU's -> this due to the Hyperthreading capability of the CPU. In the second screenshot from DM you'll notice that it already lists the driver as an ACPI MultiProcessor PC.. Does this mean that the correct HAL is already in place; i.e. must I still go through the steps as indicated in the MS KB article?

Any info regarding the above will be welcome.

Rgrds,
Johann

3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Update System ROM to the latest
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/romtabl.html
Install CPU
Update changes from F9 for Multiprocessor if needed
Make changes with HAL if necessary
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

There is no such.. Vendor-specific HAL ... only Microsoft
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Years ago Compaq created their own HAL's, but this is no longer the case. Since your Device Manager already lists ACPI Multiprocessor PC, just disconnect the server from power, and insert the new processor.