ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1748265 Members
3966 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding processor to ML350 Gen 1

CA1494289

Adding processor to ML350 Gen 1

I'm trying to add a second processor that we have lying around but I keep getting the message "Initialization failure. Re-seat processor and processor power module before attempting replacement." I tried this and still the same.

However, If I took out the old proc and put in the new one it worked. So I figured it was a bad power module. So I ordered a new one and tried it today and I got the same message.

I tried different combinations of Proc and power module. And I keep getting the error whenever both processors are installed at the same time. If I try either one by itself, they both work fine (with either power module). Its just when both are installed. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Re: Adding processor to ML350 Gen 1

Are both processors the same speed and stepping?

Have you attempted to update the BIOS to the latest version?

Any chance CPU slot/socket #2 is faulty?
CA1494289

Slot 2 is not faulty because under certain configurations, the processor in that slot was working and the one in slot 1 was not. I think I may have found the issue though. I noticed that the spare part number was different on the newer power module. And I tried using that module with just one processor and it did not work. I ordered a new module with the same spare part # as the one that was already in the server to begin with so we'll see if that fixes it.

As for the Bios, I tried downloading the Firmware CD for the ML350 but this server was not supported by that CD (7.50) Would the bios be on there or should I just download it seperately?
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Periodically, HP drops the older firmware from the CD to make room for the newer models. Yes, you'd be better off just downloading the BIOS update individually:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18329.html