5718 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Adding to a MicroServer Gen8 RAID Array

dhirenmehta
Visitor

Adding to a MicroServer Gen8 RAID Array

Hi There, 

I have recently purchased a Gen8 Microserver to use as a simple home server, I have loaded up the free VMware ESXi and am planning to (eventually) have 4 x 6TB HDDs in a RAID Configuration and use the system as a home NAS solution.

I'd like to know if it is possible to start with 2 x 6TB HDDs and grow the configuration to 4 HDDs as I get them.

Although I am keen to learn, I must confess I am an absolute n00b to this sort of thing.

Many thanks in advance.

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) to ProLiant Servers - Netservers. - Hp Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

THe answer to your question depends on what RAID level you're expecting to run

HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller

NOTE: HDD bays 1 and 2 support 6.0Gb/s SATA. HDD bays 3 and 4 support 3.0Gb/s SATA.

NOTE: Supports RAID 0/1/10 only. No FBWC support. For FBWC, a standup Smart Array Controller card must be configured.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
dhirenmehta
Visitor

Hi Jimmy, 

Just looking for a simple RAID 5 set up. end goal will be 4 x 6TB HDDs in a RAID5 config, i expect this will give me in the region of 18TB to play with.

If i can start with 2 x 6TB HDDs in RAID5 and then grow it HDD by HDD as i can afford these disks that'd be great.

Just want to know whether it possible before i start my journey.

EDIT: Just seen the Notes at the bottom of your post that RAID 5 is not supported by the MicroServer Gen8 unless I buy another controller.

So it seems like my options are to either set everything up in RAID 0 or wait till I have purchased all 4 HDDs and set up RAID 0+1.

'IF' I went out and brought a new controller for my MicroServer, would I be able to grow a RAID5 setup with extra disks as I pruchase them?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

dhirenmehta wrote:

'IF' I went out and brought a new controller for my MicroServer, would I be able to grow a RAID5 setup with extra disks as I pruchase them?

Yes, if you install the option P222 Smart Array controller with a cache module, you can expand and/or migrate an array.  You need a minimum of 3 disks to create a RAID 5 array. With 2 disks you can create a mirror, then later you can add more drives and migrate the RAID level.

BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hello @dhirenmehta

As per Jimmy Vance, you will need to have the HP Smart Array P222 SAS controller, which is available directly through the HP Small and Medium Business store web site, to create the RAID 5 on your HP MicroServer.  I also found an HP SmartBuy Hard Drives web site that has very reasonable priced Small Form Factor (SFF) hard drives that you can purchased directly from HP.

I also recommend looking at the Configuring Arrays on HP Smart Array Controllers Reference Guide that give very good information on configuring the HP Smart Array Controllers for the different RAID options available for the controller.

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know if there is any other HP MicroServer questions you may have.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@BK_HP wrote:

Hello @dhirenmehta

SNIP

I also found an HP SmartBuy Hard Drives web site that has very reasonable priced Small Form Factor (SFF) hard drives that you can purchased directly from HP.

SNIP

MicroServer is a larger form factor system (3.5")

dhirenmehta
Visitor

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! :)

Have decided to set it all up currently as Jimmy mentioned; 2 x 6TB with the P222 RAID card in a mirror then migrate it to a RAID as I add additional HDDs.

Regards,
D
BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hello @dhirenmehta

I apologize for the previous post with the SFF hard drives I provided for your HP ProLiant MicroServer, I do recommend looking at the HP Large Form Factor (LFF) web site for the correct hard drives for your HP ProLiant MicroServer.