1753797 Members
6985 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Boot From SAN BL460

Steve Kroesen
Occasional Contributor

Boot From SAN BL460

I am trying to setup a BL460 for Boot from SAN (EMC CX3-20). Zoning and LUN are all setup and confirmed the blade sees the storage after installing Windows on the blade directly. Would like to setup the blade to boot windows directly from the SAN. Never done this and cannot seem to find how. I have the Emulex Mezanine HBA LPe1105. Tried booting from Smart Start or the CD directly and do not see the storage. Tried the "F6" on CD booting and pointed to the different drivers I downloaded from HPs site.

Any help would be appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Re: Boot From SAN BL460

I don't use your mix of hardware to boot from SAN, but I do use Emulex and EMC to do so. I don't know if SmartStart supports booting from SAN.

I'd suggest confirming that the boot-BIOS is enabled on your HBA, booting from the Windows CD, pressing F6 and providing the floppy.

Hmmm...that could be a problem. I don't use blades, but I have noticed that iLO Virtual Media floppy doesn't work on ProLiant's when booting from the Windows Server 2003 CD and pressing F6 to load an OEM Mass Storage Device driver.