1748209 Members
2751 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can't install Red Hat enterprize linux 4 in HP proliant DL380 G6 Server

Syed Asif

Can't install Red Hat enterprize linux 4 in HP proliant DL380 G6 Server

Good day,
I have been purchased HP proliant DL 380 server and i want to install Red Hat Linux enterprize 4 but very sadly n unfortunately HP smart start CD has no preinstallation support, but i visited HP site and used to download firmware, drivers and every thing and the superb thing is in my OS columb they givin drivers and they mentioned that those will install after installation anyway my question is i have been assinged RAID level to my Hard drive which are SATA or SAS but when i am going to boot with RHEL 4 OS, OS givin error that you dont have any hard drive installed on your server so i need to know how i can provide drivers to RHEL 4 OS and how it could be installed with complete info. and plz dont think that i m home user, i am IT professional since 10 years by grace of Allah and using HP product since 6 years so plz help me out i need to install RHEL 4(Red Hat Enterprize Linux 4) OS asap in this server HP proliant DL380 G6 ... i am waiting for your favourable responce ... mind it i have tried firmware too but nothing happend and i have tried new smart start for same OS & same Server but it is also not showing this OS in smart start CD only showing related to MS windows 2003 & 2008 sever ...
3 REPLIES 3
Robert Walker_8
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't install Red Hat enterprize linux 4 in HP proliant DL380 G6 Server

Gday Syed,

So you have a G6, the disks are in a RAID config and show up as a LUN or number of LUNs when system boots saying Server has 1 or 2/3/4 LUNs etc?

You probably will need the latest version of RHEL V4.8 this should support the later drivers that the G6 will use along with the likely Nahelem processors within the G6.

The days gone by where you had to tell the BIOS what OS it was running have long gone - that was probably G1/G2 certainly G4/5 havent required it and put up a message - G6 probably doesnt even offer a manu option about OS choice.

So first I would get the latest RHEL 4 update as this will give you latest security patches etc and hardware updates for drivers etc and ensure that you have created a logical drive either from smartstart Array configuration utility (acu) or from bios menu option (F8 when it gets to the disk controller stage - from there you can create simple raid 1/10/5 environments but without partitioning the LUN - that needs smartstart acu).

Robert.
Syed Asif

Thanks alot robbert,
so what would you suggest to me because in Linux enviorment i am new thats why need help if it is possible actually first i want to ask are these both thing same ?
1) RHEL 4
2) RHEL AS (advance server)?
Because just now i have seen its RHEL-AS, so what would you suggest either this OS could be update if yes then how i can do that ?
and also what you mean by LUN ?
Syed Asif

Dear All,
Will you please help me to solve this issue ?
Mr.Robert told me to get latest version of RHEL now i have RHEL 5 but still it is not showing HDD drives when i am installing OS ... Please if anyone help me out because non of technical support of HP also not responding ...